Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If we see a refreshed version of iPhone SE this quarter, what are the chances that it might be called iPhone SE X ?

Doubtful. I don't see Apple conflating the iPhone SE and the 'X' terminology together or having 'X' like features. If the iPhone SE does see an update, I believe it will be somewhere around March if they have a spring keynote. The internal specifications being updated similar to the iPhone 7 (Perhaps the 8) and minor hardware changes with a higher resolution display, possible tweaked form factor/7000 Series aluminum.

Reactions: tedstoutpa59

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As @MagicBoy said, this is not an unfamiliar naming situation.

For a while, when Apple would upgrade a computer model from a 68000 processor to a 68030 processor, they would indicate as such by appending an "X" to the name. The Mac II became the IIx and the IIc became the IIcx, for example. At the time, the SE was the higher end compact model made. The 68030 version of the SE was called the SE/30 rather than the SEx for obvious reasons.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't care whether they call it the SEX but a full-screen iPhone SE is exactly what I want to see in 2018. I would even prefer it if they returned to the iPhone 4 form factor for the device. The screen would still be larger than the SE's.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
It seems that the best hope now for an SE successor with an edge-to-edge screen would be a smaller counterpart to the upcoming 6.1" LCD model slated for 2018. There does not appear to be any chance for this to happen in 2018, but perhaps it could happen in 2019. We already know that, while the X arrived first in a single size, it will come in two different sizes starting next year. The new "W" lineup (my terrible working name - we obviously don't know the real name yet) will also start off with just one size, but this allows for an addition - smaller in this case rather than larger as will be the case with the X - in its second year.

Although the market for "small" phones has been somewhat driven by the fact that, as phones have grown larger, costs have grown proportionately and took prices along with them, I still believe there is a significant market for a smaller, more manageable device irrespective of the fact larger-sized "low cost" phones have now become a reality. Anecdotally, there is a contingent of the populace who consider the small size a feature and who would presumably be willing to pay prices that are similar to a larger phone of the same technical specifications to get that feature.

The current iPhone SE is 4.87" x 2.31". Note that, conveniently, this makes the aspect ratio of the SE (the device itself) roughly the same as the aspect ratio of the current 5.65" x 2.79" iPhone X (just over 2-to-1). Even if the new device grows slightly in size and turns out to be, say, ~5" x ~2.5" that's still enough of a reduction compared to the smaller iPhone X to make a difference in pocket-ability. Again using the current iPhone X as a guide, that would also mean the screen is slightly less than 5" size. Although that would represent a larger gap between it and the 6.1" model than the X lineup will see with the 5.8" and 6.5" devices, it doesn't seem unreasonable either. Hopefully there is a market for this to become a reality.

GTO

Suspended
Jan 23, 2018
OP means he thinks a X type iPhone the size of the SE
You mean like this.......
D052C2CF-23D0-478F-8803-24A2238561EA.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.