Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I’m a bit surprised I can’t seem to find a verified answer for this yet, but can anyone confirm that on Friday, when I pick up my new 16 Pro, I can do the restore from back up data transfer over USB C from my iPhone 15 Pro?

I know the traditional restore from backup routes are over local WiFi, or from an iCloud backup, or back in the day using a Mac and iTunes backups. But given this is the first year with a new and old phone having USB C, I was wondering if I can quickly transfer directly using a cable?

This support article discusses doing it from a lightning cable, perhaps it just needs to be updated…

Reactions: swrobel

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Ahh, winner winner. I’m guessing they’ll update that article sometime this week too with iOS 18 release. That’s great, thanks! I wonder how speedy it will be, we shall find out.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
IMG_8672.jpeg

Wow, that was news to me! This is genuinely the best thing I’ve seen all day haha

Reactions: mystery hill

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I think the regular apple usb c cables transfer at usb 2 speeds which is slow. getting a usb c cable with higher transfer speeds would hopefully speed up the transfer process

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.