Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Hi
My iphone XR has unexpected shutdown after ios 14 upgrade from ios 13 in Nov. The lowbatterylog said {"bug_type":"120","os_version":"iPhone OS 14.3 (18C66)"}. It persists even after I erased and did clean install. I think it seems similar to batterygate problem that happened to iphone 6s. I would like to know if anyone the has same the experiences and how to fix it.
Thanks

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
OT: This is the first I have seen you on the forum in a good while.
My online presence took a backseat while I was finishing law school and taking the bar exam. Failed the bar the first time, so my break was extended. ?. Passed it the second time, so I check in more often now. I don't play the beta game anymore though.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It started with Battery health was max capacity 100%, now 98%.
Has the phone come in contact with any liquids? I wonder if there is potentially a hardware problem with the device reading the battery.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My online presence took a backseat while I was finishing law school and taking the bar exam. Failed the bar the first time, so my break was extended. ?. Passed it the second time, so I check in more often now. I don't play the beta game anymore though.
Congrats, Counselor. Good to see you around.

I am not doing beta anymore either. Got tired of that circus.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Has the phone come in contact with any liquids? I wonder if there is potentially a hardware problem with the device reading the battery.
No accidents, I take care of my phone very well. My previous iphone 6s lasted for 3 yrs with battery health 90% left. This is the first time happened to my electronic device. My 10 yr old ipod touch and ipad are still running well even at battery 10%.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Congrats, Counselor. Good to see you around.

I am not doing beta anymore either. Got tired of that circus.

Thanks! Beta game definitely became a circus. It's just easier to wait and not mess around with breaking anything. I still haven't mentally recovered from losing 2 years of health data.
No accidents, I take care of my phone very well. My previous iphone 6s lasted for 3 yrs with battery health 90% left. This is the first time happened to my electronic device. My 10 yr old ipod touch and ipad are still running well even at battery 10%.

I think the only thing you can do at this point is call Apple. They can run diagnostics to see if there is a hardware issue. Could be a loose connection, failing battery or what not. I've had batteries fail but still showed 95%+ battery health. Unfortunately, battery health is the only way we have to see if something is wrong. Apple can do the remote diagnostic is a few minutes. Best of luck!

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Thanks! Beta game definitely became a circus. It's just easier to wait and not mess around with breaking anything. I still haven't mentally recovered from losing 2 years of health data.

I think the only thing you can do at this point is call Apple. They can run diagnostics to see if there is a hardware issue. Could be a loose connection, failing battery or what not. I've had batteries fail but still showed 95%+ battery health. Unfortunately, battery health is the only way we have to see if something is wrong. Apple can do the remote diagnostic is a few minutes. Best of luck!
Apple checked it online and at store, nothing was wrong, including the battery. Anyway they asked to replace the battery. I think it could be due to defective battery in iphone 6s in Batterygate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batterygate. At that time, Apple recalled it. I wonder if anyone has the same issue this time.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Apple checked it online and at store, nothing was wrong, including the battery. Anyway they asked to replace the battery. I think it could be due to defective battery in iphone 6s in Batterygate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batterygate. At that time, Apple recalled it. I wonder if anyone has the same issue this time.
Batterygate had nothing to do with defective batteries. The controversy began because users could not see their battery health and the phone would slow down performance in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

Your situation seems like a one off. If it was an actual wide-spread problem there would be many, many threads about it. You seem to just have a defective battery. Once it’s replaced, everything should be fine once more.

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Batterygate is not controversy. This is the same problem that my phone have battery shutdowns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batterygate. It started with defective batteries in iphone 6s. https://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/12/06/apple-iphone-6s-battery-issue-explained. Apple recalled iphones and replaced battery free of charge or at discount because of defective battery manufacturing. It also settled the lawsuits filed by 34 state attorney generals twice over $600 millions of dollars. https://www.smartphoneperformancesettlement.com/

Last edited:

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Batterygate had nothing to do with defective batteries. The controversy began because users could not see their battery health and the phone would slow down performance in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

Your situation seems like a one off. If it was an actual wide-spread problem there would be many, many threads about it. You seem to just have a defective battery. Once it’s replaced, everything should be fine once more.
My battery health is 98% now. It shuts down at 61%. Unless it is ios bug or Apple use defective battery. None of my electronic has every has such battery issue. My old moto razr and ipod touch still work more than 10yrs without such battery issue.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My battery health is 98% now. It shuts down at 61%. Unless it is ios bug or Apple use defective battery. None of my electronic has every has such battery issue. My old moto razr and ipod touch still work more than 10yrs without such battery issue.
You have a defective battery. Plain and simple. iOS is not reading it right. If it was a software issue, or a wide-spread hardware problem, we would know. You already said Apple is replacing the battery - problem will be solved.

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
You have a defective battery. Plain and simple. iOS is not reading it right. If it was a software issue, or a wide-spread hardware problem, we would know. You already said Apple is replacing the battery - problem will be solved.
How do you know that problem will be solved? Do you work at Apple? There are many threads about unexpected battery shutdowns in the past, and you can even found on it Apple support website. Apple refuses to recall this time. I just want to discuss with anyone who has the same issue.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How do you know that problem will be solved? Do you work at Apple? There are many threads about unexpected battery shutdowns in the past, and you can even found on it Apple support website. Apple refuses to recall this time. I just want to discuss with anyone who has the same issue.
If you would of done a forum search you would of found out there is no widespread defective batteries in the XR.. You have a battery that is obviously defective or a hardware issue that is effecting your particular device or it would be all over this forum and the internet.. If you don’t want to take advice from veteran forum members and are only looking for people to agree with your assessment you might be disappointed in the responses you receive

Last edited:

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
If you would of done a forum search you would of found out there is no widespread defective batteries in the XR.. You have a battery that is obviously defective or a hardware issue that is effecting your particular device or it would be all over this forum and the internet.. If you don’t want to take advice from veteran forum members and are only looking for people to agree with your assessment you might be disappointed in the responses you receive
If you google "bug_type":"120", you will see a lot of threads, mostly iphone 6. That was how the Batterygate issue started. Apple admitted only a small number of iphone affected. https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13853280/apple-iphone-6s-battery-problems-fix-explanation. I don't find any on XR yet, that is why I started this thread. Replacing the battery may not solve the issue. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/649047/iPhone+resetting+at+40+after+installing+a+new+batter. What you mentioned, is almost the same as Apple employees told me, denying any systemic Apple issues. So I wonder you are representing on behalf of Apple.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If you google "bug_type":"120", you will see a lot of threads, mostly iphone 6. That was how the Batterygate issue started. Apple admitted only a small number of iphone affected. https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/6/13853280/apple-iphone-6s-battery-problems-fix-explanation. I don't find any on XR yet, that is why I started this thread. Replacing the battery may not solve the issue. https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/649047/iPhone+resetting+at+40+after+installing+a+new+batter. What you mentioned, is almost the same as Apple employees told me, denying any systemic Apple issues. So I wonder you are representing on behalf of Apple.
A quick google search clearly shows that this is a faulty battery issue. Getting a new battery will fix your issue, as I previously stated. bug_type":"120 is not strictly limited to iPhone 6 as I found threads about the Apple Watch having similar issues. In almost every case I found, a replacement battery fixed the issue.

You still seem to be mischaracterizing the actual issue of Batterygate.

We’ve given you advice and what is the likely cause. Nothing else can be said or added at this point. As I stated above, good luck getting it resolved.

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
A quick google search clearly shows that this is a faulty battery issue. Getting a new battery will fix your issue, as I previously stated. bug_type":"120 is not strictly limited to iPhone 6 as I found threads about the Apple Watch having similar issues. In almost every case I found, a replacement battery fixed the issue.

You still seem to be mischaracterizing the actual issue of Batterygate.

We’ve given you advice and what is the likely cause. Nothing else can be said or added at this point. As I stated above, good luck getting it resolved.
It is more than battery issue as it happened after upgrading ios both in 6s and XR. Unless you are an Apple employee, you don't have reasons to defend Batterygate and Apple. I am sharing my experiences with others who may have similar problems as Apple support refuses everything what I found like you do.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Do note, #batterygate became #batterygate not because the iPhones had defective batteries. It became an issue because of Apple's response to the defective batteries.

Instead of fixing/replacing the batteries and creating a replacement program like they should have done in the first place, Apple decided to slow down iPhones to mask the problem. Purposely slowing down the iPhones with battery issues is what bit them and generated #batterygate, not the defective batteries by themselves.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
Do note, #batterygate became #batterygate not because the iPhones had defective batteries. It became an issue because of Apple's response to the defective batteries.

Instead of fixing/replacing the batteries and creating a replacement program like they should have done in the first place, Apple decided to slow down iPhones to mask the problem. Purposely slowing down the iPhones with battery issues is what bit them and generated #batterygate, not the defective batteries by themselves.
I agree the Batterygate was a long process and defective battery was the beginning but the underlying problem. Trying to fix hardware issue with a cheap quick software creates a bigger problem. Like Boeing used the software to fix the incompatibility of ageing body of 737 Max and newer engine to keep the nose down. Boeing was blaming on the pilot and airline until the second accident. Apple is doing the same, denying their defective manufacturing and ios software, blaming on hypothetical "liquid spillage", third party apps and "normal aging" of battery unless more people come forward with this issue.

Last edited:

sawt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2021
In my case, the battery health is still 98% capacity. I use my phone conservatively in power saver mode most of the time. All my devices have pretty long battery life. There may be a defect in a particular component of the battery instead of the whole battery or a glitch between battery and ios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.