Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I know there are several threads about this, but I'm wondering if anyone can share information about using any third-party unlocking services when still under a monthly installation plan (not contract). I'm on AT&T Next and don't want to pay off the phone to be eligible for an unlock because it's the free line on a "buy one get one free" promo. I have upcoming travel and would be happy to use a third-party service, but sometimes the wording isn't clear and they don't specifically state what happens for phones under a carrier installment plan. Note that I have no issues with a blacklisted phone or iCloud locked phone, just a carrier lock. Thank you!

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Just try using the AT&T website to unlock it. I did it with a phone still on an installment plan and did it without an issue.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Unfortunately the AT&T website (correctly) states that the phone is still on an active installment plan. I also spoke with Loyalty on the phone and they said there's no way they could do it if it wasn't paid off, which I obviously don't want to do since it's the free phone in a BOGO promo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.