Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
iPhone X battery health 80% and I have to charge it throughout the day to keep using it/carry battery packs. I’m also conscious of the screen brightness throughout the day

Debating whether or not to wait for the iPhone 15 given it’ll have USB-C and also meant to be the ‘big upgrade’ compared to the incremental iPhone 14 pro max update. Thoughts?

I’m not sure in the meantime whether to change the battery and pay £79 at Apple for my current phone, just deal with the degrading battery by charging or just upgrade this year

Do you wait for the big updates or just buy when you need?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 13PM was the incremental upgrade. The 14PM is a major update with the pill/hole and 48MP sensor. 15PM is expected to have periscope lens.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
The 13PM was the incremental upgrade. The 14PM is a major update with the pill/hole and 48MP sensor. 15PM is expected to have periscope lens.
I think the periscope lens is a bigger update than the cosmetic notch reduction

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Your X will be officially supported for another year so it would be a good idea to replace the battery and hold onto it until the 15 has been released.

There are no “really big updates” anymore though so I would personally just update my phone whenever I want to. If you’d like a 13 or 14 go ahead and get one as I doubt you’d regret it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
iPhone X battery health 80% and I have to charge it throughout the day to keep using it/carry battery packs. I’m also conscious of the screen brightness throughout the day

Debating whether or not to wait for the iPhone 15 given it’ll have USB-C and also meant to be the ‘big upgrade’ compared to the incremental iPhone 14 pro max update. Thoughts?

I’m not sure in the meantime whether to change the battery and pay £79 at Apple for my current phone, just deal with the degrading battery by charging or just upgrade this year

Do you wait for the big updates or just buy when you need?
A mix of both. There is always something better around the corner, but sometimes, you get the right mix of features in a phone that just feels substantial enough for you to upgrade, and in hindsight, the following year's model doesn't give you more of what you want.

I feel this year is a good time to upgrade, if only for the battery life. I switched to the 13 pro max from my 8+ last year and the biggest benefit was not having to worry that my phone wouldn't make it through the day. I don't really feel like usb-c is that huge a game-changer for me, but everyone's mileage will vary.

Reactions: MacLappy and I7guy

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
USB-C will be nice but for me it is not a game changer. There is little difference in plugging in a lightning cable vs a USB-C cable for charging each night.

Better camera is a plus, larger pixels will do better in low light. Better battery life is always good but I seldom use more than 25% on my 13 PM now.

I will update to the 14 PM just because I do every year but am not expecting it to be a huge update from my current phone.

Reactions: revs

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Personally, I would wait and see what the 14 is like.

Replace your battery at Apple if you think the upgrades would not be worth it.

If you had a XS, I would say absolutely just get a new battery and hold off for another year since iOS 16 gets like 99% of the features without sacrificing animations.

Reactions: Superman041

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I just also feel which many have stated that innovation hasn't happened to the same degree as before. We're waiting for the next big revolution in tech but there doesn't look like something coming.

Reactions: piattj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.