Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
After having to make an extra payment in order to hit 12 payments to get trade om my iPhone X for the iPhone 11 Pro Max, and now facing the prospect of trading in my iPhone 11 Pro Max after 14 payments, I am considering paying off my iPhone 11 Pro Max and selling it elsewhere (ideally for cash in person via Craigslist or FB Marketplace).

If I send it to Apple via the program, the value that I would receive is $520 (i.e. the amount remaining on my loan), less a $99 charge to fix a crack on the back of my phone (screen/everything else is fine.

I understand that the program doesn't guarantee a new phone after 12 payments, and that's fine, but these extra payments add up, and it's frustrating to get dinged for extra payments each year. I also feel that there is a high likelihood that the iPhone 13 will be released on the "regular" schedule in October, meaning I'll have to make an extra payment upfront before I can send this one back.

Before all the "then don't do the program" and the "there's no guarantee to upgrade after 12 payments" people flood this topic, I'm curious if anyone else is considering paying off/selling their 11 this year (but still getting the 12).

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
After having to make an extra payment in order to hit 12 payments to get trade om my iPhone X for the iPhone 11 Pro Max, and now facing the prospect of trading in my iPhone 11 Pro Max after 14 payments, I am considering paying off my iPhone 11 Pro Max and selling it elsewhere (ideally for cash in person via Craigslist or FB Marketplace).

If I send it to Apple via the program, the value that I would receive is $520 (i.e. the amount remaining on my loan), less a $99 charge to fix a crack on the back of my phone (screen/everything else is fine.

I understand that the program doesn't guarantee a new phone after 12 payments, and that's fine, but these extra payments add up, and it's frustrating to get dinged for extra payments each year. I also feel that there is a high likelihood that the iPhone 13 will be released on the "regular" schedule in October, meaning I'll have to make an extra payment upfront before I can send this one back.

Before all the "then don't do the program" and the "there's no guarantee to upgrade after 12 payments" people flood this topic, I'm curious if anyone else is considering paying off/selling their 11 this year (but still getting the 12).

I would do that but I don’t take care of the phone and it isn’t in great condition. So I rather Apple Pay off the rest.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I would do that but I don’t take care of the phone and it isn’t in great condition. So I rather Apple Pay off the rest.
But if your phone has any damage (beyond normal wear and tear), Apple requires you have it repaired before they accept the trade (you can also pay the repair fee when you send yours back). So one way or another, the phone you give Apple will be in good condition...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
But if your phone has any damage (beyond normal wear and tear), Apple requires you have it repaired before they accept the trade (you can also pay the repair fee when you send yours back). So one way or another, the phone you give Apple will be in good condition...

It has normal scratches and smudges from the coating coming off. Plus the hassle of being scammed and fees isn’t worth it IMO.

deathdruid

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Cambridge, MA, USA
?
Did this with my 11 Pro Max a week ago. Sold at Decluttr for $660 using 9to5 Mac promo code for 10% extra:

Waiting for 12 Pro Max orders to open up, though I am tempted by the lighter and cheaper 12.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
?
Did this with my 11 Pro Max a week ago. Sold at Decluttr for $660 using 9to5 Mac promo code for 10% extra:

Waiting for 12 Pro Max orders to open up, though I am tempted by the lighter and cheaper 12.

I see...$660 feels kind of low for an 11 Pro Max, no? It's only ~$100 more than the value you'd get from giving it back to Apple....

eBay/Swappa/Craigslist have 11 Pro Maxes for $800+ depending on condition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.