Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardMoran10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Do any of you know know or understand the return policy for iPhones after exercising the upgrade.
I upgraded my 6S Plus (on IUP) on Saturday to a BLACK 7 Plus (on IUP) but I would like to return it as i just got the e-mail from apple saying a Jet Black iPhone would be waiting for me at my preferred store on Oct. 3rd.

This is the return policy on Apple's website:
  1. Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option. Should you exercise the Upgrade Option and subsequently return your new, upgraded iPhone under the terms of Apple’s Returns and Refunds Policy, the Financed iPhone that you traded in will not be returned to you and the New Installment Loan associated with your new, upgraded iPhone will be terminated. You will, however, owe the difference, if any, between the prevailing Reuse and Recycling Program value at the time of exercising the Upgrade Option on your original Financed iPhone that you traded in, as determined solely by Apple or its Trade-In Service Provider, and the remaining balance of your original Installment Loan. If there is a surplus between the prevailing trade-in value of your original Financed iPhone that you traded in and the remaining balance of your original Installment Loan, you will be issued an Apple Gift Card for the amount of the surplus.
BUT i do not understand the section that is in bold letters. Would anyone be kind enough to clarify this for me?

asuandy

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do any of you know know or understand the return policy for iPhones after exercising the upgrade.
I upgraded my 6S Plus (on IUP) on Saturday to a BLACK 7 Plus (on IUP) but I would like to return it as i just got the e-mail from apple saying a Jet Black iPhone would be waiting for me at my preferred store on Oct. 3rd.

This is the return policy on Apple's website:
  1. Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option. Should you exercise the Upgrade Option and subsequently return your new, upgraded iPhone under the terms of Apple’s Returns and Refunds Policy, the Financed iPhone that you traded in will not be returned to you and the New Installment Loan associated with your new, upgraded iPhone will be terminated. You will, however, owe the difference, if any, between the prevailing Reuse and Recycling Program value at the time of exercising the Upgrade Option on your original Financed iPhone that you traded in, as determined solely by Apple or its Trade-In Service Provider, and the remaining balance of your original Installment Loan. If there is a surplus between the prevailing trade-in value of your original Financed iPhone that you traded in and the remaining balance of your original Installment Loan, you will be issued an Apple Gift Card for the amount of the surplus.
BUT i do not understand the section that is in bold letters. Would anyone be kind enough to clarify this for me?

I had this happen yesterday. YMMV, but I wanted to return my Silver 7+ on IUP for a Matte Black 7+. I had to return the phone and cancel the loan and then reapply to the program again for another phone/loan. It was very easy and there were no hiccups. I'm not sure how it works for IUP members from last year, but if you're essentially applying for another loan each year, it might be a similar process.

Reactions: RichardMoran10

djcingular

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Princeton, NJ
This is why i choose to pay full retail for my 7+, until my JB comes in. I can just return it, w/o a restocking fee, and get the phone i want.

Hate to jack your thread...but did they do a soft hit, or a hard hit on your credit report when upgrading though the IUP? I joined last year, and don't want another hit on my report.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Wait, so you're saying you bought a phone you didn't intend to keep instead of just waiting a few more days for the phone you actually wanted instead?

Or am I misunderstanding something here?
[doublepost=1474372178][/doublepost]
This is why i choose to pay full retail for my 7+, until my JB comes in. I can just return it, w/o a restocking fee, and get the phone i want.

Way to go abusing the return policy because you're too immature to wait a few days.

This kind of stuff is why companies end up discontinuing their good return policies. Enough bad apples like you two screws over everyone else. Thanks a pants-load.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Looks who's calling the kettle black. You were too impatient to wait for what you wanted, and now you are looking for answers to return a phone that you don't want. At least my Apple store knew my intentions. So who's abusing the system....
You might want to work on your reading comprehension. I'm not the OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.