Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
A couple questions for those who use the iPone Upgrade Program through Apple.

– Can you change phones during your usage at all? either from a different color or to a Plus or different storage capacity? or is it only from Prev Gen to Next Gen?

– The site states theres a $129 value for AppleCare+ .... I'm not entirely seeing where as you are still paying for it in the total cost of the device....?

Thank you

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
A couple questions for those who use the iPone Upgrade Program through Apple.

– Can you change phones during your usage at all? either from a different color or to a Plus or different storage capacity? or is it only from Prev Gen to Next Gen?

– The site states theres a $129 value for AppleCare+ .... I'm not entirely seeing where as you are still paying for it in the total cost of the device....?

Thank you
You can trade in at any time if 12 months worth of payments have been made (basically pay it 50% off)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The site states theres a $129 value for AppleCare+ .... I'm not entirely seeing where as you are still paying for it in the total cost of the device....?
The price of the phone + $129 (for AppleCare+) is the amount financed.

You'll pay sales tax + the first months payment at the time of purchase with a credit card that will be used to bill the remaining payments.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
If you finance the phone through the AUP, you can change the phone within the first two weeks. They just cancel the loan and start a new loan. After that, you cannot change until 12 payments are made.

Americasteam

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2014
If you finance the phone through the AUP, you can change the phone within the first two weeks. They just cancel the loan and start a new loan. After that, you cannot change until 12 payments are made.

I can verify this. I just swapped colors this afternoon. They have to cancel the first purchase and redo everything.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Whats the disadvantages to the upgrade program? I just found a 7 plus black at 12:00am and upgrade was the only option when purchasing.

I have a 6plus and was going to buy the phone outright so I would have no payments.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
Does this mean that your credit score gets hit for a hard enquiry for a second time?

It likely works like car loans or mortgages, multiple pulls for the same type of loan usually count only as one pull if within 30 days. The idea is that consumers should not be punished for shopping for the best loan.

Obviously, what we is happening here is not "shopping" for a loan but the credit bureaus may not be set up to see the difference, since it will be two inquiries but only 1 loan.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
You can trade in at any time if 12 months worth of payments have been made (basically pay it 50% off)

So theres two conflicting things with these two...is it unto 50% of the payment made regardless if its 12 consecutive payments / 12 months or if it happens within 3, 6, etc months?

or is it only applicable to new phone releases?

The price of the phone + $129 (for AppleCare+) is the amount financed.

You'll pay sales tax + the first months payment at the time of purchase with a credit card that will be used to bill the remaining payments.

So if anyone has used it in the passed, do you continually pay for AC+ on the next upgrade or are you just paying for it the one time. i.e.; after 24 months you essentially have paid off a phone.
I guess I'm confused by their website verbiage where it states AC+ included ($129 value) when you are still paying for it regardless.

And, at what point do you get to keep a phone outright? after 24 payments of the same device or 24 payments total?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
The program is applicable to the 7 and 7 plus only. Assuming you are new to the program and want to purchase a 7/7 plus, you can through the Upgrade Program. If you do that, and then want to change the color, model or size, you can do so within the first two weeks. In that case,the initial loan with Citizens is cancelled, the phone is given back and a new loan is started for the new phone.

You cannot finance a 6S, 6S Plus or SE, through the Upgrade Program, if you are joining for the first time.

If after the two week period, you cannot return the phone for a different color,size or model, until you have made the equivalent of 12 payments and until at least 6 months have passed.

If you joined the Upgrade Program for the initial release of the 6S/6S Plus, you can upgrade to a 7/7 plus as long as you have been in the program for at least 6 months and have made the equivalent of 12 monthly payments.

Reactions: ZMacintosh

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008

Cool really appreciate it, thank you.

one thing when I asked Apple was at what point does the upgraded phone get total ownership. does that upgraded phone need the full amount no matter what you paid before? i.e.; start with iPhone 7, 7S or 8 comes out, I already made 12+ payments...get the next gen...make another 12 mo payments. is the next gen (7s or 8) yours to keep after that 12 months or is it 24 months ?

Thank you again, appreciate the info really helpful to make sense of it

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Every time you upgrade you are in a new contract so if you upgraded after 12 months you don't own the phone because the payment is over 24 months. So if you upgraded from a 6s to a 7 plus, you certainly wouldn't own a 7 plus for making just 12 months payments because that's on,y half the value of the phone that you have paid for. If you wanted to own it out right then you would need to pay the remaining 12 months payment in one lump sum

Reactions: ZMacintosh

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
Every time you upgrade you are in a new contract so if you upgraded after 12 months you don't own the phone because the payment is over 24 months. So if you upgraded from a 6s to a 7 plus, you certainly wouldn't own a 7 plus for making just 12 months payments because that's on,y half the value of the phone that you have paid for. If you wanted to own it out right then you would need to pay the remaining 12 months payment in one lump sum

gotcha, makes sense. appreciate it

billybill

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
This may have already been answered but if I pre-ordered on 9/9 but I don't get my phone till late November, am I not eligible for an upgrade until November 2017?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
This may have already been answered but if I pre-ordered on 9/9 but I don't get my phone till late November, am I not eligible for an upgrade until November 2017?

you put the payment down? will you be charged October and November? id say based on the information if you are making payments regardless it should start 12 months after your initial upgrade purchase

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

If your first payment is made November 2016, then you will be eligible October 2017.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
got a question, is the upgrade program same day pickup? I have heard people picking it up a day later (UK)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
OOps should have quoted for billybill.

After 6 month of owning the device you can make additional payments. So once you make up to 12 months worth then you are eligible. So technically you can pay a bit more and be eligible for next year September if you hit the 50% mark by then.

greeley

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Just wondering do you have to give them your old iPhone first after 12 months? (I.e. Are u technically phone less till the Apple Store sets up your new phone)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just wondering do you have to give them your old iPhone first after 12 months? (I.e. Are u technically phone less till the Apple Store sets up your new phone)

You trade in your phone at the time you get your new one. You go in with your old and leave with new.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Not exactly. Come next September, if you want a phone at launch, ensure that you have made the equivalent of all 12 payments before the pre-order begins. In other words, pay the 12th month early if necessary.
[doublepost=1474924161][/doublepost]
You trade in your phone at the time you get your new one. You go in with your old and leave with new.
And if its via mail, the same applies. When you receive the new phone, you ship the old back.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Not exactly. Come next September, if you want a phone at launch, ensure that you have made the equivalent of all 12 payments before the pre-order begins. In other words, pay the 12th month early if necessary.
[doublepost=1474924161][/doublepost]
And if its via mail, the same applies. When you receive the new phone, you ship the old back.

You cannot do an IUP via mail. Currently it's in store only. First time yes, not upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.