Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
Hi All,

I have a couple of things I’m considering with my iPhone 6(regular one not S or +), an Apple Watch I am considering buying, and podcasts (I use the standard Apple Podcasts app on my phone).

1. I would like to control my podcasts on my phone while in the car with the Apple Watch. Specifically, I want to be able to do two things with an Apple watch: 1) skip backwards a few seconds 2) when the podcast is finished to automatically play the next chronological podcast (ex: 3/7/19 -> 3/8/19) or have it automatically queue it up so it’s ready to go and I only need to hit play on the watch to play the next one. This way there is very minimal to no interaction with my phone or watch so I can concentrate on the road. Is this possible and how seamless is it?
  2. I would also like to be able to play podcasts and do all of this wirelessly in my car without having to pull my phone out. I have an older car that only has an AM/FM radio and a tap deck. I’ve been using a tape deck adapter but would like to do it wirelessly. Ideally there would be nothing I would need to pull my phone out for. I would just get in the car and use my watch to start playing and controlling podcasts. Is this seamless interaction possible and if so, what kind of accessory would you recommend to do this?
I guess I just don't know how reliable or seamless doing all of these things would be but I hoping it's all possible.

Thanks

jkulmtd

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Hi All,

I have a couple of things I’m considering with my iPhone 6(regular one not S or +), an Apple Watch I am considering buying, and podcasts (I use the standard Apple Podcasts app on my phone).

1. I would like to control my podcasts on my phone while in the car with the Apple Watch. Specifically, I want to be able to do two things with an Apple watch: 1) skip backwards a few seconds 2) when the podcast is finished to automatically play the next chronological podcast (ex: 3/7/19 -> 3/8/19) or have it automatically queue it up so it’s ready to go and I only need to hit play on the watch to play the next one. This way there is very minimal to no interaction with my phone or watch so I can concentrate on the road. Is this possible and how seamless is it?
  2. I would also like to be able to play podcasts and do all of this wirelessly in my car without having to pull my phone out. I have an older car that only has an AM/FM radio and a tap deck. I’ve been using a tape deck adapter but would like to do it wirelessly. Ideally there would be nothing I would need to pull my phone out for. I would just get in the car and use my watch to start playing and controlling podcasts. Is this seamless interaction possible and if so, what kind of accessory would you recommend to do this?
I guess I just don't know how reliable or seamless doing all of these things would be but I hoping it's all possible.

Thanks

This seems possible to me. You can set rules within the podcast app specific to what you’re looking for (I.e. play in order). I use the default app on my phone with this setting turned on and it works - when the episode is over, it stops, prepares the next one, I hit play to start it.

As far as audio controls are concerned I also can’t see that being an issue because when you listen to regular music on your phone it will transpose the player controls on your watch and you can use them from there instead of your phone so I would imagine the same rings true for podcasts and if not that’s a huge oversight!

As long as you have the app running in the background on your phone playing your podcasts in the order you select then I don’t think you’ll need to touch your phone.

Good luck!

dde3640631b3b0b24b06a47e8b91f1d5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.