Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Had to stop by my local AT&T store and they had the 14 models out on display.
After handling all the models, in hand I liked the feel of the 14 Plus the best, mostly from a feel and weight perspective.

That go me thinking; if you could change anything hardware wise on the iPhone 14 (all models) what would that be?

I would include USB-C which I understand is coming.
I would swap out the stainless steel for AG Aluminum - serious weight savings.

Let me know.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Had to stop by my local AT&T store and they had the 14 models out on display.
After handling all the models, in hand I liked the feel of the 14 Plus the best, mostly from a feel and weight perspective.

That go me thinking; if you could change anything hardware wise on the iPhone 14 (all models) what would that be?

I would include USB-C which I understand is coming.
I would swap out the stainless steel for AG Aluminum - serious weight savings.

Let me know.
I would make the camera flush with the housing. That boil has been on the back of the iPhone since the 6 series.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
6.9-inch display.

The camera plateau and lens is over 4mm tall, which would make a flush iPhone nearly 12mm thick.

That would be fine to me, maybe not for others but aesthetically it would just look so much better.

Attachments

• 960x0.jpg
    960x0.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: dk001

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I would want rounded edges and lower weight. I despise the flat sides on my 13, will never again buy a phone like this even if it means switching back to Android.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Titanium over steel. Reduce bezels further to increase the screen size without increasing the size of the phone (already partially done on the 14 pro, now a 6.12 display size compared to the 6.06 before but the bezels are still large). 1440p resolution on the pro phones. A FOLDABLE IPHONE. Matte black colour option.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Titanium over steel. Reduce bezels further to increase the screen size without increasing the size of the phone (already partially done on the 14 pro, now a 6.12 display size compared to the 6.06 before but the bezels are still large). 1440p resolution on the pro phones. A FOLDABLE IPHONE. Matte black colour option.

Ti - didn't think of that one.
Great idea!

Now in a matte black :cool:

Reactions: JM

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That would be fine to me, maybe not for others but aesthetically it would just look so much better.

At 12mm, it would be 50% thicker than current. It might look nice, but I think it would be difficult to hold especially for Pro Max users.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
My demands:

**Add physical SIM card tray (US model only)
**Thinner body design
**More flush camera system

Squared edges are fine, but wish the phone was a little thinner. Want the SIM tray for obvious reasons. And the camera thickness is getting kinda ridiculous.

Holding my card hostage from Apple until they can meet my demands (or 15 pro releases, whichever happens first)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Oh, I’d like aluminium frames also… strong and durable, like we saw in the 6S.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
At 12mm, it would be 50% thicker than current. It might look nice, but I think it would be difficult to hold especially for Pro Max users.
I'd be satisfied if Apple could make the camera's slightly exposed like the S22 Ultra. Not flush but acceptable

Last edited:

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Larger camera lens protrusions.

Titanium chassis, Apple Watch ultra design, 12gb ram, 400mm periscope tele lens made by a company that knows how to create good photography equipment, 7” inch display with smaller bezels, no more Face ID or sociopath selfie camera, Touch ID inside the power button or under the bottom half of the display, just all screen baby! Oh yea, give that main camera a medium format size sensor as well, and a proper pancake lens on the back of the phone for it.

Quad speakers too.

• Wow

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
give that main camera a medium format size sensor as well
Do you know how big the phone would have to be to have a medium format sensor in it?! 😂 And a lens to utilise it would then have to be massive as well, which would result in a camera body with phone abilities basically.

Attachments

• medsensor.JPG
    medsensor.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 86

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Remove the silence switch. I've never used it since forever but I've accidentally switched it way too often.
Or even a setting so that those who are fans of the switch can keep it: Ignore silence switch.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Remove the silence switch. I've never used it since forever but I've accidentally switched it way too often.
Or even a setting so that those who are fans of the switch can keep it: Ignore silence switch.
Never ever switched it on or off by accident on any iPhone ever.

I suppose you don’t use a case then?

Reactions: kitKAC and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014

Personally I find it useful when I am going to an appointment or meeting and I need to do a quick phone silence.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Lighter weight, 10x optical zoom. I would keep the silent switch. Mine always stays turned on. That was one of the things that I really liked about the iPhone. On my old Note, I would have to turn on the phone and swipe down to mute and unmute. It’s nice to be able to just flip a switch. Biggest wish would be lighter weight though. It is the heaviest phone I have ever had. 6.9” screen would be nice, but not at the Expense of extra weight.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
After reading the posts here, a lot of items I never really considered, I still feel an Aircraft Al instead of steel and slightly rounded edges - not so squared off - would be my top picks.

Reactions: brucemr

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
The main ones for me are:
  • Putting the front camera and sensors under the display or in a much smaller cut out than the current implementation
  • Offering an alternative way to unlock the phone, ideally Touch ID in the Power button
  • Providing a more competitive level of optical zoom, maybe 10x or something similar
  • Higher transfer rates for getting photos and videos off the device, at least make it utilize USB 3.x speeds
That‘s about it, really. I‘m still very happy with my 13 Pro, in many ways it‘s fantastic. It‘s just a bunch of little things that you sometimes wish you had.

Reactions: JM and dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.