Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

While connected to a charger does your iPhone X charge while using AirPlay?

• My iPhone X charges fine while using AirPlay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My iPhone X does not charge while using AirPlay

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
So Iv’e waited a while before I posted this. At first I thought it was a bug that my iPhone X would not charge while listening to music via AirPlay. More than a month later and several software updates my iPhone X will not charge while listening to music via AirPlay.

I turn on music and place it on the wireless charger. The phone makes the sound and charging indicator lights up, but when I come back later it’s at the same percentage as when I placed it down to charge. It maintains the charge but does not increase the charge level.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this purposely designed this way by Apple? I’ve tried googling this but there aren’t any topics. People who have AirPlay capable devices, test this out and get back please, thanks.

Last edited:

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Bump. Anyone else on here that can test this out? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
I would say the charge rate on your wireless charger does not supply more power than what AirPlay requires. This would cause the charge indicator to stay the same.

That’s what I thought at first but it’s the belkin wireless charger that Apple sells. It also charges higher than the supplied adapter.

Edit: After testing with the supplied adapter I’ve realized it does charge.

So now I’m even more confused. Does it not charge when using wireless charges and AirPlay? Or did belkin lie about the wattage on their wireless charger?

I don’t have another wireless charger to compare with but I guess I need to use a wired charger when using AirPlay.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That’s what I thought at first but it’s the belkin wireless charger that Apple sells. It also charges higher than the supplied adapter.

Edit: After testing with the supplied adapter I’ve realized it does charge.

So now I’m even more confused. Does it not charge when using wireless charges and AirPlay? Or did belkin lie about the wattage on their wireless charger?

I don’t have another wireless charger to compare with but I guess I need to use a wired charger when using AirPlay.

Wireless charging is S L O W as it is very inefficient. I think at best it could be doing 7.5 watts but due to the lack of efficiency I doubt your X could even take advantage of that. If you plug in the charger that came with the phone, it will supply more power than the wireless one. I bought the Morphie charger from and it makes charging easy but not faster.

If you want to use AirPlay, you will need to plug it in.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Wireless charging is S L O W as it is very inefficient. I think at best it could be doing 7.5 watts but due to the lack of efficiency I doubt your X could even take advantage of that. If you plug in the charger that came with the phone, it will supply more power than the wireless one. I bought the Morphie charger from and it makes charging easy but not faster.

If you want to use AirPlay, you will need to plug it in.

That’s what I will do. It’s just that I’ve gotten used to the convenience of putting it on the wireless charger. Thanks.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.