Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

effort

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2016
Los Angeles
I’ve been experiencing random, intermittent connection issues. Odd. Anyone else?

This was happening on my walk home from the work yesterday... it’s the first time it’s ever happened. I restarted my device and i was good after that.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I’m experiencing weird stuff too. I’ve had to manually pair them twice, which is exactly what was so good not to have to do. Beyond that, every once and awhile the two ears almost seem to lose sync from each other for a quick blip. It’s like a hiccup.

Will try completely forgetting device and setting up from scratch.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I’m heading to the Apple store tomorrow to get my AirPods replaced. I’m hoping it helps with my issues.
But I’m thinking my issue is more cellular provider connected.

I’m highly suspect it’s the phone.

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas
Since iPhone X, my airpod issues have been solved. I had it paired with a 7 and for some reason the microphone wasn't picking up any audio when using Siri or placing phone calls. Now, both work flawlessly.
Weird.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Looking around to see if anyone has any solutions. Iphone x and Airpods aren't working well together. I have unpaired/forgotten and repaired many times. The last time, it ask me to use the button on the back. I haven't had to do that before with an ios device. Now, when I put it in my ear, I hear the connection chime, but the audio still plays from my phone. I have to manually go into bluetooth and connect them.

This isn't how they are supposed to work - so I was hoping there was a solution - but it looks like a trip to the genius bar.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I’ve been experiencing random, intermittent connection issues. Odd. Anyone else?
I have been getting the same too... Either one pod will stop working or both will not connect and i have to open and close the charge case to get them to connect. I have also had issues with Spotify losing audio connection if I leave the app and go into another app with audio and come back. I have to kill the app (spotify) for in order for my airpod to be detected again.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
So I got my AirPods replaced today.

Made a phone call where I normally get the distortion issue. I think it was a little less because I had rebooted the phone prior.

I’m starting to think this isn’t a hardware Issue with either phone or AirPods, but’s rather a software issue that Apple needs to look at.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I’m heading to the Apple store tomorrow to get my AirPods replaced. I’m hoping it helps with my issues.
But I’m thinking my issue is more cellular provider connected.

I’m highly suspect it’s the phone.

What would a cellular provider have to do with your AirPod connection? o_O

Reactions: predation

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
What would a cellular provider have to do with your AirPod connection? o_O
I would assume so too.

Lots of variables, but pretty sure it’s not a hardware issue.

***edit***
It seems like the distortion issues would happen along a stretch of crappy cell connection.

Last edited:

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Happening to me too. One of my pods (usually the left side) cuts out for up to 10 seconds then comes back on. Also both pods occasionally choke up with a slight spike in volume as it regain its footing. Overall it sucks.

I had set up my iPhone X from my backed up iPhone 7 and was surprised I didn’t have to re-pair my AirPods like I had to for my Apple Watch. So much for that... will be re-pairing and I’ll report back if issue persists.

Last edited:

bjwaites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Tennessee
Happening to me too. One of my pods (usually the left side) cuts out for up to 10 seconds then comes back on. Also both pods occasionally choke up with a slight spike in volume as it regain its footing. Overall it sucks.

I had set up my iPhone X from my backed up iPhone 7 and was surprised I didn’t have to re-pair my AirPods like I had to for my Apple Watch. So much for that... will be re-pairing and I’ll report back if issue persists.
Did it help?

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Did it help?
Both pods working after pairing. None are cutting out anymore.

However, I still encounter slight feedback in the audio once in a while. Very irritating. Can’t pinpoint why or how to reproduce it but it happened while typing this post (with silent/mute switch on and keyboard sounds on while streaming Apple Music). Going to turn off keyboard sounds and silent switch off and see how that goes.

bjwaites

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Tennessee
I re-paired and all seemed well for only a day. I e-mailed Mr. Federighi and the engineering team took system diagnostic logs from my phone today. I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
When re-pairing, it's worthwhile checking that you're 'properly' resetting them - lots of online guides suggest that 3-5 seconds of holding the back button is enough to reset them. For me it was much longer. I could tell they weren't properly reset because they remembered their assigned name when I paired them again. When I reset them properly, they went back to the default name (e.g. "Brookzy's AirPods" or whatever your name is.)
  1. Remove the AirPods from your Bluetooth device list (which will also remove them from all iCloud devices).
  2. Put the AirPods in the case.
  3. With the lid open, press and hold the back button until the light flashes amber a few times. (It will flash white first, but keep holding until it flashes amber. I've got a few pairs of AirPods and they all take about 30 seconds).
  4. Close the lid, wait 15 seconds, and then re-pair.
That always fixes issues I've had with them.

jhagg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
Newport Beach, CA
I had issues that started a few days ago. Airpods would pair on iPhone X (iOS 11.2) but not connect, would get a message connection unsuccessful. Same exact problem on iPad Pro V2 12.9. Took a friends Airpods and they pair and connect perfectly. Spent 3 hours at the Apple store where they decided it was the case that was defective, so we replaced the case and the same problem persisted. We then replaced the pods as well and now everything is fine, very strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.