Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhx122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Warwick
Anyone else experiencing incredibly poor battery with the X? (4.5hrs 0-100%) I have things such as background app refresh, restrictions on some apps using location, decreased screen brightness etc.. all turned off... Charge up time is ridiculously slow - 30% increase in 45 minutes. On top of this, it seems to get ridiculously hot the second its unlocked to even do the most basic tasks.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Anyone else experiencing incredibly poor battery with the X? (4.5hrs 0-100%) I have things such as background app refresh, restrictions on some apps using location, decreased screen brightness etc.. all turned off... Charge up time is ridiculously slow - 30% increase in 45 minutes. On top of this, it seems to get ridiculously hot the second its unlocked to even do the most basic tasks.

did you set it up as new or restore? did you import a lot of apps, images or songs? the phone could take the better part of a few days to index depending on how much media you imported onto the phone.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
How are you getting on now? Has this settled down? I'd be curious to know.
Four days in, my battery drains fairly quickly in use.
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.

Reactions: jhx122

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I was thinking about how great the battey life was on my way home from work today. I was at 78% after messing with it off and on all day. Then FaceID worked from my mount in my car as I plugged it in...

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.

Have you looked under your battery settings to see which app is consuming the most energy?

jhx122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Warwick

Hey, I remember seeing a few of your posts in the US dispatch forum! Unfortunately, my battery is still extremely bad.. I've never had great battery on iPhone's. I.E The 7+ was manageable if I turned off options such as 4G, managed location services and use low power mode. With the iPhone X I feel as if it's not controllable at all regardless if it's on low power mode or if I limit the use of certain apps.
I'm the same, I don't really want to wait for a replacement X. I would rather just deal with the bad battery until I know I will receive an instant swap. I'm going to give the phone a few more days, I know it's still updating a few things on iCloud such as shared folders. In conclusion, the battery is still dreadful, takes ages to charge and becomes uncomfortably hot.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Hey, I remember seeing a few of your posts in the US dispatch forum! Unfortunately, my battery is still extremely bad.. I've never had great battery on iPhone's. I.E The 7+ was manageable if I turned off options such as 4G, managed location services and use low power mode. With the iPhone X I feel as if it's not controllable at all regardless if it's on low power mode or if I limit the use of certain apps.
I'm the same, I don't really want to wait for a replacement X. I would rather just deal with the bad battery until I know I will receive an instant swap. I'm going to give the phone a few more days, I know it's still updating a few things on iCloud such as shared folders. In conclusion, the battery is still dreadful, takes ages to charge and becomes uncomfortably hot.

That’s unfortunate. One thing to try is a reset of all settings. With iOS 11 on my 7+, that helped a great deal, as did 11.1. Did you restore from backup? Charging with the included charger will be about 3 hours; an iPad brick (~$20) will get that down to about 2 hours.

That being said, I’m getting roughly the same as 7+ which is to say a full day from 6am-9pm.

Reactions: jhx122

jhx122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Warwick
That’s unfortunate. One thing to try is a reset of all settings. With iOS 11 on my 7+, that helped a great deal, as did 11.1. Did you restore from backup? Charging with the included charger will be about 3 hours; an iPad brick (~$20) will get that down to about 2 hours.

That being said, I’m getting roughly the same as 7+ which is to say a full day from 6am-9pm.

I did restore with a backup as I had a lot of valuable content on apps such as iMessage, Whatsapp etc and iCloud takes ages to download the files back. I think I may just have to accept the X has bad battery and just limit how much I use it or carry a portable charger with me!

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
So an update on this: I reset all settings last night.. didn't seem to fix the issue.

Called my Apple store this morning who said they DO NOT have separate stock for replacements of faulty devices. Called Apple main number who did a search and said there were none available within 20 miles of LA!

So.. luckily, I have a second iPhone X. Originally I bought it for my partner who then decided he didn't want it. I was planning on trying to sell it for a little profit (call me a scalper, but would be silly not to since I had it in my hand) but hadn't had any takers. Figured I would take it back at some point within the 14 days.

So I've just spent the last two hours trying to restore my backup onto this other device. It was like childbirth. Issues with Apple's verification server. Was completely losing the will to live.

Anyway, now it is restoring. So I'll give that a go for a few days, let it settle down and see if I have the same issue with this one. If I do, I'll know it's a backup thing (or just my high expectations) and if I don't, then I know it was a dodgy unit and that'll be the one going back.

What a palaver!

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
So an update on this: I reset all settings last night.. didn't seem to fix the issue.

Called my Apple store this morning who said they DO NOT have separate stock for replacements of faulty devices. Called Apple main number who did a search and said there were none available within 20 miles of LA!

So.. luckily, I have a second iPhone X. Originally I bought it for my partner who then decided he didn't want it. I was planning on trying to sell it for a little profit (call me a scalper, but would be silly not to since I had it in my hand) but hadn't had any takers. Figured I would take it back at some point within the 14 days.

So I've just spent the last two hours trying to restore my backup onto this other device. It was like childbirth. Issues with Apple's verification server. Was completely losing the will to live.

Anyway, now it is restoring. So I'll give that a go for a few days, let it settle down and see if I have the same issue with this one. If I do, I'll know it's a backup thing (or just my high expectations) and if I don't, then I know it was a dodgy unit and that'll be the one going back.

What a palaver!

Tickle my (and others) fancy and restore it through iTunes using 11.1 IPSW files and set it up as new.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
I’m on day 2.... 48 hours in. Mines getting very hot right under the camera just being on safari. No background apps. Have all battery saving and notifications off. I keep everything closed in the background. No music even playing in the background. Bluetooth off. No random iCloud services performing or anything like that, that’s all off.

I have the most battery saving tips possible. Rebooted a few times the last few days as a couple of hard resets. Still running very warm.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
My battery gets hot when I charge it but in use it gets warm but not hot. My battery life is actually really impressive so far so if you are having problems I would swap it out.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
My battery gets hot when I charge it but in use it gets warm but not hot. My battery life is actually really impressive so far so if you are having problems I would swap it out.
It’s not hot but really warm. Battery was very bad yesterday. I’m at 70% and about 34 percent brightness and battery is 2 hr and 11m screen on, 3 hr 19m standby. It’s getting slightly better. Plus would be at about 3 hours at this point. However if it stays like this I can’t complain. Just trying to keep the heat down. My only concern.

I am using without a case until mine arrives tomorrow so I’m noticing the warmth more. I’m sure it’ll be patched soon. A lot of people are having issues with it.

BacktoMacNJ

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Mine gets hot when playing video, mostly YouTube at high resolutions, mainly 1440p or 1080p. It doesn't seem to get hot at resolutions lower than that.

My battery life seems pretty good, but I had a 6s before this.

Reactions: DJ_Rosko

jhx122

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Warwick
Using the device over the last week I've surprisingly seen an improvement. It's not a massive change but it gets me through 3/4 of the day rather than just 1/5 compared the before!

Jackietran123

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2018
Have you figured out the problem? If so how did you solve it? I’m having the same problem and have done multiple restores with no success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.