Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gugiamara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Hi, do you have similar problem with focusing on tele lens. I have and it so unpleasant. Is it software bug or reason for return the phone? Wide lens works fine, but after 2x zoom camera shifting while focusing. Just like in a youtube video below.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I tested mine by focusing on something about 4 to 5 feet away with the 2x camera and then bring my hand close to the phone (about 6 inches). It does exhibit that shifting, but its more like a quick attempt to focus lock on my hand. Its abrupt, but my hand goes from non focused to focused. Remove the hand, and it occurs as it focuses on the distant object

It only seems to do it when my hand is close, if I bring my hand further away, i.e., full arms length, it does not occur.

I'd say its not a bug, that is, something is malfunctioning, but rather an abrupt focusing that is not smooth. The end result is the camera focuses so I'm not worked up over it.

Daranx

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
London
My understanding is that using the 2X zoom doesn't always use the telephoto lens. The software determines whether you would get a better image from the telephoto lens at 2x zoom or by digitally zooming on the wide angle lens. One of the factors could be how much light there is in the frame (the telephoto lens isn't as good in low-light as the wider lens due to it's aperture difference) and the camera will switch lenses accordingly to optimise the quality.

There is actually a setting to prevent the camera from switching like this while recording. Goto Settings > Camera > Record Video then at the bottom make sure that Lock Camera is turned on.

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
My understanding is that using the 2X zoom doesn't always use the telephoto lens. The software determines whether you would get a better image from the telephoto lens at 2x zoom or by digitally zooming on the wide angle lens. One of the factors could be how much light there is in the frame (the telephoto lens isn't as good in low-light as the wider lens due to it's aperture difference) and the camera will switch lenses accordingly to optimise the quality.

There is actually a setting to prevent the camera from switching like this while recording. Goto Settings > Camera > Record Video then at the bottom make sure that Lock Camera is turned on.

Yeah this is what I was going to say. You're just seeing the camera change what lens it is using based on factors (like sticking your hand into the foreground).

Tadaskdb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
Hi, do you have similar problem with focusing on tele lens. I have and it so unpleasant. Is it software bug or reason for return the phone? Wide lens works fine, but after 2x zoom camera shifting while focusing. Just like in a youtube video below.

My iPhone X also do that.. :( So, I don't understand that's okay with camera or not?

Gugiamara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
My iPhone X also do that.. :( So, I don't understand that's okay with camera or not?
I've tried three, four more iPhone X (retail versions at Apple stores) and they all have the same "problem" with shifting the tele lens. So it's not a bug, it's a feature. Apparently.

PedroPires

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2017
I tested iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X as they have 2x optical zoom. At normal zoom I got no differences but when I changed to 2x optical zoom something strange happened... iPhone 7 Plus from 1x zoom to 2x zoom kept a perfect focused image at close range. BUT iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X were unable to focus??? I did exactly the same test on the 3 iPhones and at close range at 2x zoom optical only the iPhone 7 Plus could focus... anyone with same issues? I was thinking on buying iPhone 8 Plus but with this problem I might just stay with iPhone 7 Plus...

Joshwilde

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Hi I know this is some time on now and I’m unsure whether anyone will read this? But did anyone find a solution to this problem? Or will I need to have the camera replaced?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Hi I know this is some time on now and I’m unsure whether anyone will read this? But did anyone find a solution to this problem? Or will I need to have the camera replaced?

It's a hardware failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.