Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I was reading through the human interface guidelines for the iPhone X and was interested to find out that it has the same UI point width of the iPhone 7, despite having a wider display. Looking at display resolution and PPI, I was able to determine that the iPhone X has a physical display width of 2.46" while the iPhone 8/7/6 have a width of 2.3". This equates to about a 7% increase in display width, which means things should look slightly larger, and tap targets will be slightly bigger on the iPhone X. This will be a good change for people with poor vision, as any increase is welcome.

Reactions: the future

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That's a cool tidbit, thanks for sharing.

I've been using a 6s with a case for the past week (after using a 7 Plus for the past year). Incredible how much easier it is to handle with one hand. Very curious to see what the X feels like in person.

Reactions: macduke

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
That's a cool tidbit, thanks for sharing.

I've been using a 6s with a case for the past week (after using a 7 Plus for the past year). Incredible how much easier it is to handle with one hand. Very curious to see what the X feels like in person.
Only thing I'm worried about is a lack of reachability. I really wish UI nav elements would be relocated to the bottom. With the bottom frame of the display being lower, we'll likely be holding the phone lower in our hands so we can tap on things near the bottom, the lower keyboard, etc. But even holding my iPhone 7 cradled in my right hand like I normally do, my slightly above average sized hands (yeah, I measured back when I was getting sized for the Apple Watch because I was surprised to find my wrists were large) can't even reach above the current display, where the controls will be on the new device. I'm also developing RSI from working on the computer and my workshop so much, which makes it hurt sometimes when I really have to reach (I'm only in my early 30s BTW). I hope this doesn't turn out to be an iPhone 6 Plus situation, which I really hated after a year, but the main thing that annoyed me with that was stretching across the width of the device to hit keys and that is mitigated now with the new keyboard in iOS 11. More apps also have swipe to go back gestures now than in 2014, and switching between apps will be really easy now with the bottom shortcut, so we'll see. I hope at some point they add an option to have Control Center/Notification Center as a swipe to the left on the bottom shortcut bar, as a swipe to the right accesses previous apps.

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Only thing I'm worried about is a lack of reachability. I really wish UI nav elements would be relocated to the bottom. With the bottom frame of the display being lower, we'll likely be holding the phone lower in our hands so we can tap on things near the bottom, the lower keyboard, etc. But even holding my iPhone 7 cradled in my right hand like I normally do, my slightly above average sized hands (yeah, I measured back when I was getting sized for the Apple Watch because I was surprised to find my wrists were large) can't even reach above the current display, where the controls will be on the new device. I'm also developing RSI from working on the computer and my workshop so much, which makes it hurt sometimes when I really have to reach (I'm only in my early 30s BTW). I hope this doesn't turn out to be an iPhone 6 Plus situation, which I really hated after a year, but the main thing that annoyed me with that was stretching across the width of the device to hit keys and that is mitigated now with the new keyboard in iOS 11. More apps also have swipe to go back gestures now than in 2014, and switching between apps will be really easy now with the bottom shortcut, so we'll see. I hope at some point they add an option to have Control Center/Notification Center as a swipe to the left on the bottom shortcut bar, as a swipe to the right accesses previous apps.

Exactly. I've mentioned many times in these threads that I do like the look of the notch and am excited for Face ID, but this is one area where I'd happily criticize Apple. With the taller screen and the new larger titles, I thought it was all lining up for them to move navigation elements near the bottom of the screen.

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.