Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cervelo-Van

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2015
Hello,

Yes, I am one of those people who purchased an iPhone 8 Plus on Launch Day and Friday upgraded to the iPhone X. Amazing how quickly the lack of the Home Button and Touch ID became a non-issue.

A few questions I'm sure many of you have encountered.

I had Touch ID access with my bank account app. I was able to get it to work with Face ID, but when I connect to the app, it still asks me to select Touch ID and then unlocks with Face ID. Is this a Security feature or is not set up properly. (I just tried to access the app and it said Touch ID failed and even though it is still set up in Face ID and in the app :-(

How do I add other apps to Face ID access?

Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
These apps just need to be updated to cater for iPhone X specifically. Does the app work in general with your Face ID?

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I might be wrong but I understand that the authorisation to unlock the app from either TouchID or FaceID comes from the same place.

Essentially the apps get the authorisation to unlock from the Secure Enclave on the phone. Apple did this to ensure compatibility and consistency.

The app might say TouchID but to the app, the unlock command is the same whether it’s TouchID or FaceID. It can’t and doesn’t differentiate.

I guess it will take a little bit of time before the wording within the apps change, even if the developers bother writing specific code just for the iPhone X

Jason

Reactions: akash.nu

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
I have the same experience as Jason. Basically whatever worked with TouchID now automatically works as FaceID. The app just needed to update their wording.

Either that and update the icon to reflect the face rather than the fingerprint icon. But yeah, if you see the fingerprint icon in the app, it will assume that it is for FaceID

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Yep, every app that worked with TouchID on my iPhone 7 works the same with FaceID on my X.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I might be wrong but I understand that the authorisation to unlock the app from either TouchID or FaceID comes from the same place.

Essentially the apps get the authorisation to unlock from the Secure Enclave on the phone. Apple did this to ensure compatibility and consistency.

The app might say TouchID but to the app, the unlock command is the same whether it’s TouchID or FaceID. It can’t and doesn’t differentiate.

I guess it will take a little bit of time before the wording within the apps change, even if the developers bother writing specific code just for the iPhone X

Jason

I have the same experience as Jason. Basically whatever worked with TouchID now automatically works as FaceID. The app just needed to update their wording.

Yep, every app that worked with TouchID on my iPhone 7 works the same with FaceID on my X.

Yes this is absolutely true. OP - have you tried reinstalling the app? Weird issue to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.