Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I’ve noticed my phone has gotten warm fairly easily as well, under medium usage, nothing crazy

rider900

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
Yes I’ve noticed this too, not playing graphic intensive games either. Simple things like on safari and texting it does get warm.

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
Today my X got really hot just sitting there. Is anyone else having heat issues?

Was this on your first day? That happens when the phone first gets set up. Mine has been running cool so far.
The only task that makes it hot is using animoji.

phillavelle

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Nope. Third day
How are you getting on now? Has this settled down? I'd be curious to know.
Four days in, my battery drains fairly quickly in use.
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
How are you getting on now? Has this settled down? I'd be curious to know.
Four days in, my battery drains fairly quickly in use.
This morning, I took it off the wireless charger and it was cool. Within ten mins of just using WhatsApp. Messages, Safari and Twitter and nothing intensive, it was really warm and down to 96%.
It's been like this the last few days and I can't quite work out why it is still like this. It should be fully indexed now.
Called Apple who suggested taking it into a store and swapping it out. But without a genius appointment, there is a 60-90 min wait time, so I'd rather not unless I have to. Has anyone else experienced this and has it improved?
I restored from an iPhone 8 Plus backup. I'd really rather not wipe and set up as new and lose everything unless essential.

I think that I just had a random process running wild. I rebooted and have had no further issues.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Go to the app switcher and long press an app. Force close all the apps and see if it runs cooler. Maybe a rouge app running background processes over and over.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Today my X got really hot just sitting there. Is anyone else having heat issues?

No mine has been fine.

It gets warm after heavy heavy use, which was like the first day of having it loool cause i restored from backup an couldnt put the phone down for hours.

But other than that its been nice an cool. Unlike my Galaxy S8 that used to get really hot after a bit of usage that used to really bother me about the S8. At one point i thought i should return it to the store i got it from cause it seemed unnatural.

betonven

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2017
Mine gets definitely warm in different occasions (but mostly related to the use of the cameras).

However, I wouldn't call it "hot". It's just warm, and, unless you're doing something really crazy with it (such as aduntu bechmark), it stays there, in the "very warm" condition. I'm guessing it's Apple's way of relieving it from the heat, letting it conduct easily to the outside.

So I'm inclined to assume that this is "normal" (although disappointing for a 1200$ flagship device).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.