Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I got the iPhone X on 11/3 and have enjoyed it so far. Unfortunately, I have been getting run out of space errors for the first time in years. I had previously been running a 64GB iPhone 7, so I'm not sure what's up.

I am realizing that I'm taking more photos and sending more video, so perhaps I should be using the larger version. Probably 128gb would be fine but since it isn't available and I really don't like managing storage, and am okay with paying more for a 256GB iPhone X.

Since I am in my 14 day return window, can I just take the phone into an Apple store and ask to exchange for the larger GB version?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I got the iPhone X on 11/3 and have enjoyed it so far. Unfortunately, I have been getting run out of space errors for the first time in years. I had previously been running a 64GB iPhone 7, so I'm not sure what's up.

I am realizing that I'm taking more photos and sending more video, so perhaps I should be using the larger version. Probably 128gb would be fine but since it isn't available and I really don't like managing storage, and am okay with paying more for a 256GB iPhone X.

Since I am in my 14 day return window, can I just take the phone into an Apple store and ask to exchange for the larger GB version?

Yes, assuming they have the unit you want in stock, you can exchange it and pay the difference for the larger storage model.

Reactions: - rob -

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You certainly can exchange it but they have to process it as a return if it's on iUP as they have to close out that loan and open up a new loan for the larger storage model.

Reactions: Moi Ici

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

It is not a simple exchange. It is a return and buy a new one. The old loan will be closed and new IUP loan opened.

Reactions: - rob - and Moi Ici

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I did that for space grey to silver. Unopened space grey and they still closed out space grey loan and started a new IUP for the silver one which of course includes a new credit check. Bummed. This is what happens when you order something “sight unseen”. I think this is the last time I’ll do the midnight/ sight unseen purchase. It’s been one thing after the other with it this time round.

Reactions: - rob -

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I am in this situation as well. When I spoke to the rep, I was kind of like--wait so I have to go hunting like I'm looking for a brand new phone? They were like, "yes."

I realize it may sound entitled, but I'm not looking to ditch the phone. And I think given Apple didn't have a straight line migration for 128 GB iPhone 7 users they aught to make this relatively reasonable upgrade a little simpler.

If the phones weren't showing up in stores and were completely sold out I might understand. But frankly they are in a lot of stores. So why is the recommendation I check the website "between 3am and 6am?" I already stayed up to order the phone in the first place.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I am in this situation as well. When I spoke to the rep, I was kind of like--wait so I have to go hunting like I'm looking for a brand new phone? They were like, "yes."

I realize it may sound entitled, but I'm not looking to ditch the phone. And I think given Apple didn't have a straight line migration for 128 GB iPhone 7 users they aught to make this relatively reasonable upgrade a little simpler.

If the phones weren't showing up in stores and were completely sold out I might understand. But frankly they are in a lot of stores. So why is the recommendation I check the website "between 3am and 6am?" I already stayed up to order the phone in the first place.
I went through this process (returned one color for the other) which did involve closing out the loan, opening a new one and also a hard credit inquiry (I've requested to have the inquiry removed since I've been on the IUP since it started - there was no inquiry when I upgraded during pre-orders). After I went through this process and called Citizens to remove the inquiry, they actually said the correct procedure is to exchange the devices on the loan and to not close/open a new loan. I relayed this information to the Apple Store who gave me a call said they'd distribute this information to the sales team.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I relayed this information to the Apple Store who gave me a call said they'd distribute this information to the sales team.

This may have worked because the sales rep I spoke with specifically said they would retain the prior credit check so it wouldn’t need to be repeated.

So thanks for going to that extra effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.