Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Chen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
I have queued up for iPhone X for 5 days. Once I got the iPhone X in my hand in the morning of 3rd November 2017, I took the first flight back to Guangzhou and gave it to my father-in-law. He took good care of it. The problem started on 25th September, 2019. That evening, my father-in-law, as usual, put the iPhone into flight mode before going to bed, iPhone was not responding (freeze). He tried to turn it off by pressing on/off button without success. He also realised that the battery drained quickly (drop 12% in 30min). He tried everything in his best knowledge and could not bring the iPhone back to respond. He could only leave the iPhone as it was overnight. Next morning, he discovered that there was a red watermark on lower left corner of the screen. He contacted Apple support in China and was directed to a repair centre in his area. The technician showed him that with new replacement screen, the iPhone was back to live. He paid the repair centre more than $2000 RMB for the repair. He only told us about the incident afterwards. I had contacted Apple Australia and they could not do any about it. Although the official warranty period is one years for iPhone X. But as the screen for iPhone X was much more expensive than any previous model. It should have a longer warranty (at least 2 years) I also know that I could purchase an extra years of warranty but I thought it should deem unnecessary, as Apple products especially top-end products, should last at least 2 years as most Australia mobile phone contract was at least 2 years. I hope Apple should look into the issue and give me a fair reply.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Your not going to get a response from Apple here, writing to them direct or phoning them will be your best bet... however, the phones been used for two years - and Apple only have your word that it’s not been dropped or anything like that within a case which would show no damage but could potentially loosen something inside.

Why do you think Apple should warranty the screen for longer than the rest of the phone?

Your experience is not the rule, the iPhone X has been proven to be a decent, long lasting and well made device. If yours is now playing up, as unfortunate as it may genuinely be, there’s a lesson for you to get AppleCare for peace of mind next time as sadly electronic devices that are used daily will suffer issues as they get older.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
As Overboost already mentioned, this is not an Apple owned site or forum. Contact Apple directly but I bet that you’ll have a tough time explaining why a device that’s over two years old should have another two years warranty on the display.

In fact, which manufacturers give you 3 or 4 years warranty on a mobile phone display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.