Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larryj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Atlanta
I have 1 payment left on my iPhone X. For whatever reason, I didn't take advantage of the IUP program last year, skipping the XR/XS. I think I want an 11 Pro but I'm not sure if I have any options prior to making my final payment. I don't think it makes sense to swap my X for an 11 using the normal IUP upgrade policy. I've made 11 payments beyond the 12 required to qualify for swapping out for a new device and using that option now seems like a waste of money.

I would prefer to get the $400 for my X when I purchase the 11. Can the Apple Store handle processing that last payment at the time of purchase? Or will they take my X, give me the $400 credit and just leave me responsible for that last payment (doubtful)?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You could always sell the phone, once its paid off and thus netting more $$ then the trade-in program.

Reactions: mantan

larryj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Atlanta
You could always sell the phone, once its paid off and thus netting more $$ then the trade-in program.

That's true. I've only used services like Gazelle in the past. Apple's $400 is better than Gazelle's $333 currently. I've avoided selling directly to someone in the past, mainly because it seems like a potential headache.

jackuiowa

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2019
I believe if you do the IUP trade in at the store they can give you credit for the first payment and taxes but the rest would go on an apple store card. You would still want to make the last payment though first. Don't quote me on this though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.