Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Well it's never happened to me before and I'v owned nearly all iPhone models but my iPhone X just stopped working. Was fine (and charged) but when I picked it up a few hours after coming off the charger I noticed the battery had dropped significantly considering I really hadn't used it. I didn't think anything of it until I went to try and use it a few hours later again and it just didn't tun on. Plugging it into to iTunes does nothing as well. Anyway it's such a hassle having to redo everything. Even though I have it all backed up on the cloud, it's still a lot of work to setup with passwords / recovery etc.

At least I have the Apple Watch to receive calls on :D

Fun times ..... not

P.S. I tried the hard reset and it's dead. it's a brick

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Shouldn’t be that much of hassle if you had iCloud backup turned on. You’ll get a new device from Apple anyway.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Use iTunes backup, encrypted. It restores 95% of my iPhone. Little left to do. With the millions of iPhones they quickly crank out on new releases, I am surprised there is not a lot more bad units.

Reactions: tkukoc

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
I don’t mean to sound rude but why are you wasting your time posting threads about it rather than taking it in?

If you purchased it direct from Apple then take it in to your nearest Apple store. If it’s through you’re carrier then contact them for a replacement. The device has only been out a couple of months so there’s absolutely nothing to worry about. You’re well within warranty.

Unless you’re just posting this to try and make Apple/the iPhone X look bad.

Reactions: andresandiego

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
I don’t mean to sound rude but why are you wasting your time posting threads about it rather than taking it in?

If you purchased it direct from Apple then take it in to your nearest Apple store. If it’s through you’re carrier then contact them for a replacement. The device has only been out a couple of months so there’s absolutely nothing to worry about. You’re well within warranty.

clearly it is. "look my X broke!"

Reactions: andresandiego

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007

Uhhhhh ... I am an Apple sheep. The reason I posted is not because I want to make Apple look bad, but more-so because if these posts start appearing there may be a pattern that can be picked up as a potential issue. Personally I think the battery just failed. Most of the issues in Apple & other phone manufacturers products have been picked up because forums like Macrumors and others start seeing reoccuring posts with the same issue. Apple do not disclose product issues to the media until pushed to.

I don’t mean to sound rude

Rude? No. More naive.

clearly it is. "look my X broke!"

See above :D Your comment is more like I have nothing to add except to blindly agree without thinking there may be other reasons to this post.

I have had to swap phones before though so I know it won't be a problem but as for doing an encrypted back on iTunes I never do that unless forced to (for a phone swap) and rely on on the iCloud backup. If I have broken a screen then its easy to do a backup but the phone is a brick so there is no chance of doing one now hence a drawn out installation.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Uhhhhh ... I am an Apple sheep. The reason I posted is not because I want to make Apple look bad, but more-so because if these posts start appearing there may be a pattern that can be picked up as a potential issue. Personally I think the battery just failed. Most of the issues in Apple & other phone manufacturers products have been picked up because forums like Macrumors and others start seeing reoccuring posts with the same issue. Apple do not disclose product issues to the media until pushed to.

Rude? No. More naive.

See above :D Your comment is more like I have nothing to add except to blindly agree without thinking there may be other reasons to this post.

I have had to swap phones before though so I know it won't be a problem but as for doing an encrypted back on iTunes I never do that unless forced to (for a phone swap) and rely on on the iCloud backup. If I have broken a screen then its easy to do a backup but the phone is a brick so there is no chance of doing one now hence a drawn out installation.

If the issue was backup related you should’ve put that in the title. See enough silly threads and one becomes jaded. I’m sure you know how it is.

Tbh iCloud backup is really good. You shouldn’t lose anything too important. Sorry you had problems though. My experience has great so far (fingers crossed)

KmanOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Tbh iCloud backup is really good.

Yeah have relied on it for years. Best experience is say dropping a phone and getting it replaced by Apple and within 15 minutes of leaving the store you are good to go with most phone functions. I have never had a phone brick itself though so it leave me few options except iCloud. :D

Apart from that love the iPhone. As I said the watch is working beautifully until I can get in tomorrow.

Merril

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
I just had exactly the same thing happen. iPhone X 256gb only two weeks old. It was fully charged and working fine. Was using texting on it between page loads on the computer. I looked down at my phone and it was black and would not turn back on.

Decided to search to see if this was a common problem and found several people who had the same problem with this particular model. This happened to me after about 2 weeks of owning it. I only have 1 backup on itunes from right after I got mine (which I got because the same thing happened to my previous iphone 7 plus). I not I will be missing all texts and photos, I have taken in the past 2 weeks!

I would say Apple sucks, but because it happened on my previous phone too, I'm starting to wonder if there might be an iphone virus or something. Could be bad batteries too - they keep trying to cram them into smaller spaces - eventually they are going to have problems. When it happened to my previous phone, it was right after attending the Garth Brooks Notre Dame concert that is about to air on TV. I lost all my photos including many close up photos and videos from the sound check the night before the concert. It really made me mad.

So if they give me a new one, and take my old phone, are they going to have access to all my data that's on the phone? I hope not, with all the security they have added, but I would feel better if it could be wiped before I trade it in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.