Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ermir444

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2017
My phone recently died. Looking to get an iPhone X but read the rumors of the 2018 releases. Is it worth buying an iPX now or waiting for the 2018 models? How likely do you think a price drop from 2018 iPX is considering the lack of demand for the current X?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My phone recently died. Looking to get an iPhone X but read the rumors of the 2018 releases. Is it worth buying an X now or waiting for the 2018 models? How likely do you think a price drop is considering the lack of demand for the X?

Why not take advantage of the iPhone X now. Currently its expected in the fall it will be a 6.1 LCD iPhone, 5.8/6.5 iPhone X. I don’t see Apple reducing the price of the current iPhone X, as I believe they will discontinue the current 5.8 model for the new 2018 5.8/6.5 iPhones.

Ermir444

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2017
Why not take advantage of the iPhone X now. Currently its expected in the fall it will be a 6.1 LCD iPhone, 5.8/6.5 iPhone X. I don’t see Apple reducing the price of the current iPhone X, as I believe they will discontinue the current 5.8 model for the new 2018 5.8/6.5 iPhones.
I mean, will the price of the 2018 5.8/6.5 drop from launch? i.e. iPhone X 2018 $899 / iPhone X+ $999

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
My phone recently died. Looking to get an iPhone X but read the rumors of the 2018 releases. Is it worth buying an iPX now or waiting for the 2018 models? How likely do you think a price drop from 2018 iPX is considering the lack of demand for the current X?
I think the key is how likely are you to want the new 2018 device. If that is high or likely then I would not spend top $ on the X now. Find a used or refurbished 7//7+ and then sell it later.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
What phone are you coming from? The X will be a great phone for several years, but the iPhone line is changing faster than usual right now, so it may make sense to get a temporary phone (7, SE or even 6S) until you know more in September.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Ermir444

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2017
What phone are you coming from? The X will be a great phone for several years, but the iPhone line is changing faster than usual right now, so it may make sense to get a temporary phone (7, SE or even 6S) until you know more in September.
I am coming from a Galaxy A5 2016. I would keep the X for the next 3 years, so not really concerned with the incremental upgrade the 2018 model would bring. My only concern is that the 2018 models might have a price cut akin to the fist gen MacBook Air. It seems even more likely considering how sluggish demand has been for the current iPX...
[doublepost=1520520142][/doublepost]
I think the key is how likely are you to want the new 2018 device. If that is high or likely then I would not spend top $ on the X now. Find a used or refurbished 7//7+ and then sell it later.
If the new one is the same px as current X, i would buy the current one and not wait 6mo. But if the entry level 2018 iPX (OLED) is $200 cheaper on release, that changes my decision.

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Why iPhone? Fed up with Samsung?

The S9 is an awesome phone and US$719 ships 3/16.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

The next phones won't even be announced until Sept with availability in Oct or maybe even Nov depending... That's 7 months until announcement and 8-9 months for availability... Do you want to wait that long?

I do not see the prices dropping for the Xs (or whatever it's called) but there is a rumor of a cheaper 6.1" LCD version without 3D Touch if that interests you.

I'd get the X now IF you think you'd like it..

Reactions: Ffosse

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Face ID and a few other things will probably be better on gen2. But that’s your choice. If you have AT&T you could go to Walmart and buy an iPhone se to hold you over til the new ones come out. Then sell it after. There priced at like $150

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Thing with tech is if you wait for the next best you will always be waiting. You said your phone recently died so your in the market now.

X will give you 3 years. It’s exactly what I’m hoping out of my X too.

Next year X2 will be $999.99 I expect same pricing tier for OLED. Unless you wait for the LCD version which will be priced reasonably. But your really in the market for now.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd get the X now, there won't be anything new for 6 months.

I agree. Physical wise with the new 2018 iPhone X, it’s not going to be vastly different at all. Primarily it will be internal specification updates, camera upgrades, and likely Face ID improvements.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you are in need of a phone, then get a phone. It isn't a hard decision. No need to ask complete strangers who aren't accountable for your bills, and have no factual knowledge of what will be released in the Fall, whether or not you purchase X product and spend X amount of money.

Ermir444

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2017
If you are in need of a phone, then get a phone. It isn't a hard decision. No need to ask complete strangers who aren't accountable for your bills, and have no factual knowledge of what will be released in the Fall, whether or not you purchase X product and spend X amount of money.
I have a backup one. When I make a decision to spend 1k on a phone, I’d like to be as informed as I can. I’m not asking for facts but opinions. You don’t have one so stay away.
[doublepost=1520542267][/doublepost]
The next phones won't even be announced until Sept with availability in Oct or maybe even Nov depending... That's 7 months until announcement and 8-9 months for availability... Do you want to wait that long?

I do not see the prices dropping for the Xs (or whatever it's called) but there is a rumor of a cheaper 6.1" LCD version without 3D Touch if that interests you.

I'd get the X now IF you think you'd like it..
I’m in the same line of thinking as you. Don’t care for the LCD model, OLED only (being spoiled by Samsung). I’m based in Prague so it could be till Dec before it becomes available here

pastaman321

Suspended
Mar 5, 2018

No one knows what the 2018 releases will be, it's all rumour and conjecture. From reading your posts it looks like you feel the X is over priced. So in answer to your original question , unless you live in a place that has a solid returns period, then no don't get one. The X seems to be either a love it or hate it type device.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
I'm sort of in a similar boat to the op. Undecided but need a new phone. Will wait to see what the 11 brings. But op, you can be sure that the 11 will be better in every way as it will be 2nd gen. if you can wait 7-8 months, it will be well worth it I'm sure. If you absolutely need an iphone now and you're not fussed about an improvement, then get the X.

Ermir444

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2017
I got the X finally and its fantastic. Buttery smooth and easy to get used to

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have a backup one. When I make a decision to spend 1k on a phone, I’d like to be as informed as I can. I’m not asking for facts but opinions. You don’t have one so stay away.
[doublepost=1520542267][/doublepost]
I’m in the same line of thinking as you. Don’t care for the LCD model, OLED only (being spoiled by Samsung). I’m based in Prague so it could be till Dec before it becomes available here

First of all, you do not dictate what I do or don’t do on this forum.

And secondly, I did post an opinion on the subject. You just didn’t like the response.

If you live near an Apple store or can buy online, then do so. Make use of the 14 day trial. That way, you know firsthand if the phone will meets your needs and wants, instead of asking strangers, who have different subjective needs, budgets, and expectations.

Reactions: -BigMac-
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.