Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radicalgel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
When using the camera in portrait mode on the iPhone X (iOS 11.3.1), no matter where I tap to focus it always ends up focusing on the closest object and blurs everything behind it. I've tried on 3 different iPhone X and had the same issue. However, the 8 Plus handles this fine where I can focus on an object a little further behind and it blurs the foreground nicely.

radicalgel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
When using the camera in portrait mode on the iPhone X, I sometimes got weird glitches on the images like smudges in areas that the camera thinks it should blur. I have attached sample images below.

It doesn't happen often but I was wondering if this normal and if anyone else was having similar issues?

iPhonex.jpg

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
When using the camera in portrait mode on the iPhone X, I sometimes got weird glitches on the images like smudges in areas that the camera thinks it should blur. I have attached sample images below.

It doesn't happen often but I was wondering if this normal and if anyone else was having similar issues?

View attachment 762405

It has happened on my 8 plus too.
No explanation why, though.

radicalgel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
Yeah I guess it's just the software failing to figure out the depth information. Also it is designed for faces so I guess it struggles with some lighting situations. I'm more curious about the focus issue. I'm unable to focus on the background and blur the foreground.

cschmeer

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
I've noticed this issue as well. It didn't happen on the iPhone 7 Plus, but I can recreate it on the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. I think Apple have changed something with how the software detects outlines. The portrait effect seems to be stronger, but the detection is often way off when taking pictures of items (not faces).

Reactions: radicalgel

radicalgel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
I've noticed this issue as well. It didn't happen on the iPhone 7 Plus, but I can recreate it on the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. I think Apple have changed something with how the software detects outlines. The portrait effect seems to be stronger, but the detection is often way off when taking pictures of items (not faces).

Yeah definitely an issue. The funny thing is, the Focos app actually handles this a lot better. I can actually get it to focus on an object other than the one closest to the camera. Hopefully apple will resolve this soon.

CecyliaGeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2018
I had a similar issue with my iphone 6, and it might sound weird, but I watched some youtube videos on how to fix this, and one guy suggesting hitting the area around camera with fingers...and it worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.