Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
While you're waiting to get your hands on a real iPhone X, we've created a precise cutout you can use to judge the size. The iPhone X will require even more of a shimmy to get from one end to the other one handed but it's still possible. But that's going from a 4.7-inch iPhone 6/6s/7 to the iPhone X's 5.8-inch display. Those going in the other direction from the Plus will marvel at its smaller size with larger display.

Download the cutout PDF at the bottom of this page. Enjoy and post your thoughts.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I just printed this. Crumbled it up. Then threw it in the garbage. Thank you.

Reactions: profets

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
This is super useful! Thanks for posting. I thought I’d contribute my semi-precise cutout of a Qi charging pad to amplify the real’ness.

F269CFFB-40F7-4BF8-BD23-359811C73D69.png

Reactions: 355922 and Starfyre

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
Replied just to bump, gg. Thanks for the cool pdf though. I think I'll reprint and have it laminated.

Thanks. However, I recommend an anodized aluminum frame with chamfered edges and a Jony Ive-approved 8-ply milled mat board. It'll become a cherished heirloom.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I just printed this. Crumbled it up. Then threw it in the garbage. Thank you.

Same here. Printed it out and the X in the print is smaller than a 6s that's sitting on my desk. Something went wacky with the scaling/printing.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
Same here. Printed it out and the X in the print is smaller than a 6s that's sitting on my desk. Something went wacky with the scaling/printing.

Not sure what happened when you printed it but it does work when printed at actual size. See photo.

Attachments

• iphonex.jpg
    iphonex.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not sure what happened when you printed it but it does work when printed at actual size. See photo.

Tried it again, printing the pdf directly worked. Now time to find a piece of cardboard to glue it to and cut out the exact shape. I remember doing that for the 6 Plus before it launched, felt insane at the time how big it was.

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
Tried it again, printing the pdf directly worked. Now time to find a piece of cardboard to glue it to and cut out the exact shape. I remember doing that for the 6 Plus before it launched, felt insane at the time how big it was.

Yes, you need to download it and print it from a PDF app, not the pseudo PDF browser view. Preview on the Mac will work.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
thanks for this. i glued it to a double layer or cardboard to get the approximate thickness and to be honest, its pretty unwieldy and thats without a case. while not much bigger than the 8, the 8 is already at the size limit for me so the extra bit of size pushes it over the edge. add in the fact that with the whole thing being screen, you quickly realize that despite being close in size to the 8, it absolutely is a 2 handed device. easy to forget that i think.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for this.

I had a packet of photo paper, so printed the X onto that...

Used it to get an idea of how it'll fit in my car's phone compartment & compared it to my 6s...Get a load of my scissor skills :D….

View attachment 718443 View attachment 718444 View attachment 718445

That's the comparison between a 6s & the X??

That's cool! I knew there wasn't a big difference, but it's nice to see this. I was mainly concerned about the X in my pockets. Seems like it won't really be much a difference.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Easier and more accurate to order a $1 TPU case and $0.69 glass protector from AliExpress.

You can actually use those items once your phone arrives.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
That's the comparison between a 6s & the X??

That's cool! I knew there wasn't a big difference, but it's nice to see this. I was mainly concerned about the X in my pockets. Seems like it won't really be much a difference.
I wouldn't want to go any bigger as it then becomes impractical for my day to day duties.

Grabbing it, it seems like a perfect happy medium for my hands, despite me needing to shuffle my hand up a little to reach the top right corner (Control Centre)...

IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4869.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.