Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erik701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Hello,

A few weeks ago I started to experience crackling from ear speaker on my iPhone X. Crackles are very noticeable when watching videos, listening to music via speaker... I did little bit of research and it looks like it´s very well known issue on iPhone X from first batches. I also found, that Apple is replacing iPhone X with such issue for new unit. Apple already stopped production of iPhone X, so my question is, what will happen, if I will bring my iPhone X with this issue (or any other issue, with which, I will be eligible for replacement) to Apple store in late 2019? Will they change my iPhone X for iPhone XS? Will they have enough spare units of iPhone X for such a case? I live in EU, so there is 2 years warranty period.

Thanks

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Replacement units are refurbished.

Apple is always refurbishing old units so they have plenty of iPhone X stock. They still give out replacement iPhone 6 units.

Erik701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
But it's different with X, as iPhone 6 have been selling several years after it's initial release. Apple was selling it alongside 6S and 7, but that's not the case of X. Apple stopped to sell iPhone X immediately after XS release. I was just thinking, what will happen, if somebody would claim some issue with iPhone X under warranty period, 10 or even 20 months after Apple stopped to sell this model. At some point, refurbished models should be gone as well, as they stopped to manufacture this model several months ago and I they also have limited quantity of replacement parts, which at the some point, will be also gone for good.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
So, you were thinking, what if somebody would have a X for repair, and Apple would not have any X's to replace that old X with, and might they replace it with an X-s,
and then you heard crackling from your speaker ? ;)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
But it's different with X, as iPhone 6 have been selling several years after it's initial release. Apple was selling it alongside 6S and 7, but that's not the case of X. Apple stopped to sell iPhone X immediately after XS release. I was just thinking, what will happen, if somebody would claim some issue with iPhone X under warranty period, 10 or even 20 months after Apple stopped to sell this model. At some point, refurbished models should be gone as well, as they stopped to manufacture this model several months ago and I they also have limited quantity of replacement parts, which at the some point, will be also gone for good.

You seriously don't think, Apple, who has been consistently ranked by Gartner as having the top supply chain in the world, has the foresight to stock enough replacement parts and phones?

Apple knows the iPhone X units sold, the number of AppleCare+ customers, and the defect rate for the past 10 months.

Apple was able to restart the production of iPhone 6 Plus for the battery service program as some repairs needed whole device replacements.

iPhone X owners will get iPhone X replacement units, even 5 years from now.

Reactions: Ifti

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
You will get a refurbished unit.
Imagine the number of people who have traded in their iPhone X for the XS.
Apple has plenty of X available, probably for a few years yet. You wont get a free upgrade to the XS.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm sure Apple will have plenty of stock for a while.

I've had power problems with an X purchased two weeks after launch (won't power on properly without pressing volume buttons and then power button, wireless charging is sporadic) and will be having it replaced today with a refurbished unit.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Your X will be way out of warranty by the time Apple runs out of replacement devices for it. They will never give you a Xs as a replacement for your X regardless if it has been discontinued or not.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
You seriously don't think, Apple, who has been consistently ranked by Gartner as having the top supply chain in the world, has the foresight to stock enough replacement parts and phones?

Apple knows the iPhone X units sold, the number of AppleCare+ customers, and the defect rate for the past 10 months.

Apple was able to restart the production of iPhone 6 Plus for the battery service program as some repairs needed whole device replacements.

iPhone X owners will get iPhone X replacement units, even 5 years from now.

Yep...you will get a refurbished X.

That does create issues though in certain circumstances. Back when the 6 Plus was failing with Touch Disease, Apple was replacing defective devices with refurbished 6 Plus and some of those would also fail from the same problem shortly afterwards because it was a design defect, not a random failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.