Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liyonphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Hello and hope you are doing great!

So far I'm loving my iPhone X, totally worth since I upgraded from an iPhone 6.

This may be too early to post but I'm noticing that every Animoji shakes while on the messenger app. Maybe this start happening after the update. Basically the animoji face is trembling, especially when you open the mouth and it gets some distortion too around it.

Any one else notice this or have the same problems?
Maybe it's just a Software issue

Thank you for your time!
Greetings,
L.

Reactions: jackpea

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I also see this. It’s like they are stuttering even if I’m completely still. Maybe it doesn’t like my bed head?

But seriously does anyone else experience this?

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I didn’t try before I updated to 11.1. Was yours working as intended before the update?

The shaking and face tracking is so bad the feature is unusable now :(

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas
Have y’all tried to restart your phone?
I experienced a weird background noise with the feature but it went away after a restart.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Could be a few things:

Your phone is still indexing and bogged down. The Animoji feature takes a ton of power to process.

Secondly, if you’re like me you rushed haphazardly through the face tracking during the FaceID set up. Reset your Face ID and redo a scan.

Reactions: Diorama

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
I’m going to try both those tomorrow without my current dark lighting and bed head

I’ll update with my results.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I thought it was my beard throwing it off...

Honestly will live a perfectly happy life without ever sending an Animoji.

liyonphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
I'm glad I'm not crazy then lol, yes I tried restoring mi phone and the issue was still there. My guess is iOS 11.1, maybe??
I'll try that tomorrow Costino, great tip, although you don't need to set up Face ID for Animojis to work, I forgot to do it and they still work, they shake a lot but "work" lol

liyonphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Now is working fine, I think it was due bad lighting or too dark! ty everyone

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Yea I reset my Face ID and showered my hair so I didn’t look homeless when I set it up again. Seems a bit better now.

Cajunreb54

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Hello and hope you are doing great!

So far I'm loving my iPhone X, totally worth since I upgraded from an iPhone 6.

This may be too early to post but I'm noticing that every Animoji shakes while on the messenger app. Maybe this start happening after the update. Basically the animoji face is trembling, especially when you open the mouth and it gets some distortion too around it.

Any one else notice this or have the same problems?
Maybe it's just a Software issue

Thank you for your time!
Greetings,
L.

Yep. Same here. Rescanned my face and no help. Didn’t try before 11.1

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Yep. Same here. Rescanned my face and no help. Didn’t try before 11.1
A new scan of your face does nothing because animoji isn't using your FaceID data, it generates a mesh of your face in real time.

I have the same issues. I also seem to not be able to hold the phone correctly because I always get focus issue messages (lighting in the room is okay) and my animoji always seems to be looking slightly up (even if I hold the phone infront of my face).

Reactions: iapplelove

madonionrings

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
Well that’s good to know Animoji isn’t dependent on Face ID. I definitely feel like it’s difficult to get working right, even after the rescan, so maybe it was a software update.

lerimer

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
mines dont shake at all if I'm in good lighting, however I cant get any of the mouths to fully close. I have my lips sealed and still animals like the monkey will have the mouth a little open and will not track some of the lip movements.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
A new scan of your face does nothing because animoji isn't using your FaceID data, it generates a mesh of your face in real time.

I have the same issues. I also seem to not be able to hold the phone correctly because I always get focus issue messages (lighting in the room is okay) and my animoji always seems to be looking slightly up (even if I hold the phone infront of my face).

This is correct, that’s why it can work on anyone. Not just the users face.

I’ve had my X since launch and have tried Animoji only a few times. And it’s always been a bit choppy and laggy.

Miggymonster1

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Same here and went to the Genius Bar to test and it happened on every iPhone X in the store on display. Do all of you have beards? I do and I originally thought it was my glasses and I got lasik and it still happens. Maybe it doesn’t like facial hair? Genius bear said they will let Apple know but that is about it. Disappointed big time.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
I read all the posts above but it seems there is no exact solution for shaky Animoji.

Anyone still having the same problem?

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
I read all the posts above but it seems there is no exact solution for shaky Animoji.

Anyone still having the same problem?

Haven't had the issue since getting rid of my X. Looks like it may have been a hardware issue with the X? I had upgraded to the XS Max and never had this issue.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
Haven't had the issue since getting rid of my X. Looks like it may have been a hardware issue with the X? I had upgraded to the XS Max and never had this issue.
I am having the issue with my iPhone 11.

I actually rarely use Animoji but shaky Animoji characters make me disappointed and angry when i open it and see the characters are shaking continuously, over and over and over again. :D

I don’t know how to fix it; and i am not sure if i make an appointment and take it to Apple Genius Bar, what action will they take. I don’t think my iPhone 11 will be replaced with a new one because of this minor issue.

Any suggestions? It is annoying in 2020 we are still having this kind of problems in iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.