Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuftsAlum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. Has anyone ordered an iPhone within the last week? If so, would you be willing to post if it’s being shipping from California (Elk Grove), China, or elsewhere? I ordered an iPhone earlier today (12/8) directly from Apple and would like to know if it is being shipped via UPS from the factory or elsewhere? Much appreciated =)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. Has anyone ordered an iPhone within the last week? If so, would you be willing to post if it’s being shipping from California (Elk Grove), China, or elsewhere? I ordered an iPhone earlier today (12/8) directly from Apple and would like to know if it is being shipped via UPS from the factory or elsewhere? Much appreciated =)
Since there are plenty stocked up at their warehouse now, they will be shipped from one of the warehouses in the US.

TuftsAlum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hey Shadowbech,

Thank you for your quick reply! Are you definitely positive about this? I’ve read some people stating they received their new iPhone from China, while some stated that it shipped from within the US. Do you know what accounts for the discrepancy? Thanks!

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. Has anyone ordered an iPhone within the last week? If so, would you be willing to post if it’s being shipping from California (Elk Grove), China, or elsewhere?

I never buy phones from Apple, always from the carrier. Having said that, I ordered my X from Verizon on Monday (12/4) and had it on Wed (12/6). The tag on the box said it was shipped from Memphis, which is both a VZW hub and a FedEx hub.

Funny thing was, VZW was saying the silver/256 still had a ship delay of a week, the 256/SG was immediately available. Since I wanted the SG, that was fine.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hey Shadowbech,

Thank you for your quick reply! Are you definitely positive about this? I’ve read some people stating they received their new iPhone from China, while some stated that it shipped from within the US. Do you know what accounts for the discrepancy? Thanks!
Yes I'm positive about this. Yes, the iPhones are assembled in China and get shipped to the customers from there. But once apple fulfill those pre-orders, then many of the device being made will be stored at their warehouse, which are based California, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. So now, all online orders will be shipped from one of these warehouse as they have plenty of stock.
[doublepost=1512833016][/doublepost]
I never buy phones from Apple, always from the carrier. Having said that, I ordered my X from Verizon on Monday (12/4) and had it on Wed (12/6). The tag on the box said it was shipped from Memphis, which is both a VZW hub and a FedEx hub.

Funny thing was, VZW was saying the silver/256 still had a ship delay of a week, the 256/SG was immediately available. Since I wanted the SG, that was fine.
I'm the opposite. I always order directly from Apple and not from the carrier. Since iPhones are made by apple and I always buy sim-free model outright. I usually don't like buying phones from carrier. Plus Apple doesn't charge a re-stock fee when you return stuff where as carriers do.

Last edited:

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I'm the opposite. I always order directly from Apple and not from the carrier. Since iPhones are made by apple and I always buy sim-free model outright. I usually don't like buying phones from carrier. Plus Apple doesn't charge a re-stock fee when you return stuff where as carriers do.

Personally, I see buying phones outright as a waste. I can easily come up with better things do do with my money than give it to someone else, vs using an interest-free loan that I only have to pay half of.

Cue the "yadda yadda sell it for more than half make a profit" nonsense in 3.. 2.. 1..

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Personally, I see buying phones outright as a waste. I can easily come up with better things do do with my money than give it to someone else, vs using an interest-free loan that I only have to pay half of.

Cue the "yadda yadda sell it for more than half make a profit" nonsense in 3.. 2.. 1..
All personal preference. I don't like owing carrier any money when financing. Yes I know that I can trade in after 1 year blah blah blah.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015

If someone is talented at investing that makes money as well as sense. I prefer to pay full price with annual bonus income that is not part of my personal budget. Now my iPhone feels more like a treat I earned than something that I'm paying for every month.

Reactions: TuftsAlum

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

I’ve seen posts like this before. And I always wonder, what exactly would an interest free loan of $500-$1000 let you do?

Around here, $500 isn’t even enough to rent a small basement bedroom even if you’re willing to share a kitchen and bathroom.

Heck, I need to have a minimum balance of $2000 in my checkings account just to avoid fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.