Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
Hello all!
Just wanted to share my story and maybe get some feed back, if any.
I pre-ordered my iPhone X on the 27th from AT&T and had everything set for delivery on the 3rd. That made me pretty happy until the 3rd came and no iPhone.

I quickly called AT&T and they said my phone was delayed for a couple days. Initially I was frustrated, but I would get over it. On to waiting until the 6th!

The 6th came and I got an email from UPS stating that they misplaced my shipment. Yup, they misplaced it. That upset me so I called UPS and they assured me they would find it and get it on its way. They found it that evening and told me it would be here today. And they were right, kinda.

The package arrived beat up and when I opened it up, the phone box had been unwrapped and the phone stolen. I loss my cool. I could not believe after waiting for this package, it was gone. I looked in the box twice more, just because I was so shocked. So, someone in Texas is enjoying my new phone that was purchased for my birthday. I assume Texas, since that is where it was “misplaced.”

My question is since I have the box and the serial number can the phone be tracked? Can they find it?
I have AT&T trying to refill my order, which is impossible since the entire nation is currently sold out.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Anything would be appreciated. Please no negativity, I’ve had enough for a while.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
hmm.. i don't think Apple will track it for you (or allow it to be tracked by another agency)
the SN may show up elsewhere.. in which case, you'll be able to get the cops involved.

I think UPS is the first point of contact in order to resolve this issue.. then go from there.

---------
for clarity--
i'm just guessing with all of that.

-------
[edit]
i change my guess from UPS to AT&T as being the point of contact.. i mean, that's who you bought it from so...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mishabella

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
This happened to me years ago when I bought an iPad. I never saw the original iPad that was sent to me but was able to get another one after the investigation was completed, which took some time. People are rotten, huh?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Nothing negative here. You've done what you can do and are having AT&T refill your order. I would drop any thoughts of trying to track or get back at a thief. I don't think it will take long for AT&T to get you a new phone. Relax...

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Did you open it in front of the UPS driver, or did you sign and accept and open after the driver left? If you signed for it, UPS will give you the runaround and say you accepted delivery and they are not responsible.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
If ATT is going to replace it for you then at least you don't have to worry about the UPS investigation. But they may want the packaging and iPhone box. Don't throw it away.

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
This happened to me years ago when I bought an iPad. I never saw the original iPad that was sent to me but was able to get another one after the investigation was completed, which took some time. People are rotten, huh?
That’s terrible, but I’m so glad you were able to get a new iPad. Rotten indeed. I guess they needed it more than me.
[doublepost=1510281829][/doublepost]
Did you open it in front of the UPS driver, or did you sign and accept and open after the driver left? If you signed for it, UPS will give you the runaround and say you accepted delivery and they are not responsible.
Opened it right there because it was partially opened. I knew something was up.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
In my opinion the claim should be to UPS because they failed to deliver. AT&T will not bear the loss of the phone from their pocket. If UPS failed to deliver, then UPS will need to compensate. The point is when you signed for the iphone, did you notice damage to the packing? Did you notify UPS. Regarding doing an investigation where it got lost, I am not sure that is your problem. It is UPS's problem.

Reactions: MareLuce

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009

Exactly

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
In my opinion the claim should be to UPS because they failed to deliver. AT&T will not bear the loss of the phone from their pocket. If UPS failed to deliver, then UPS will need to compensate. The point is when you signed for the iphone, did you notice damage to the packing? Did you notify UPS. Regarding doing an investigation where it got lost, I am not sure that is your problem. It is UPS's problem.
I notified UPS right away. They actually hung up on me, twice. AT&T had to contact them and start an investigation. UPS has horrible customer service.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is something worth mentioning for all shipments in general...

The company shipping the product is the one in business with the shipper, NOT the recipient. If there is something amiss, the first point of contact should always be the company you bought the product from.

Reactions: newellj

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
Exactly why I will never pre-order. The phone is just there and somebody decides to treat themselves to your new phone. That and it doesn’t come on launch day for a lot of people anyways.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yes they are liable but thats not to say they may try to fob the user off initially saying that he didnt make the driver aware.

The driver only has the responsibility to deliver the package and not to verify the contents. Heck, in America they hardly require signatures and you new phone can be found tossed at your door step.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilpap and fischersd

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

The claim needs to be handled through ATT. You are not the customer, ATT is so they make a claim.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
This is something worth mentioning for all shipments in general...

The company shipping the product is the one in business with the shipper, NOT the recipient. If there is something amiss, the first point of contact should always be the company you bought the product from.

Most definitely call a
Yes they are liable but thats not to say they may try to fob the user off initially saying that he didnt make the driver aware.

Nah. Most packages aren’t opened in front of the driver. And most packages aren’t even signed for on most residential deliveries. Now u can refuse delivery if the package looks damage, but that’s a whole different story. If u accept the package and open it only to find it damaged or missing then UPS will handle it. They won’t give u the runaround. Happens all the time at my employer.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
From what I understand, UPS weighs packages multiple times while on it's way to it destination. The can see the weight change and know where in the journey it was removed from the box.

MicaiahRay

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Hello all!
Just wanted to share my story and maybe get some feed back, if any.
I pre-ordered my iPhone X on the 27th from AT&T and had everything set for delivery on the 3rd. That made me pretty happy until the 3rd came and no iPhone.

I quickly called AT&T and they said my phone was delayed for a couple days. Initially I was frustrated, but I would get over it. On to waiting until the 6th!

The 6th came and I got an email from UPS stating that they misplaced my shipment. Yup, they misplaced it. That upset me so I called UPS and they assured me they would find it and get it on its way. They found it that evening and told me it would be here today. And they were right, kinda.

The package arrived beat up and when I opened it up, the phone box had been unwrapped and the phone stolen. I loss my cool. I could not believe after waiting for this package, it was gone. I looked in the box twice more, just because I was so shocked. So, someone in Texas is enjoying my new phone that was purchased for my birthday. I assume Texas, since that is where it was “misplaced.”

My question is since I have the box and the serial number can the phone be tracked? Can they find it?
I have AT&T trying to refill my order, which is impossible since the entire nation is currently sold out.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Anything would be appreciated. Please no negativity, I’ve had enough for a while.

I feel you, I ordered the iphone x a month back and have been tracking the shipping until it arrived at my house. I took the day off to drive home from college to pick it up and found that the phone wasn't in the box. Some one from UPS had opened the box taken just the phone and re tapped it. I called T-mobile to get a refund or reorder and they told me to personally contact UPS and get the refund myself. Then we asked to speak with a manager, were put on hold for 45 minutes then hung up on. I'm furious with the customer service and how i will have to pay for 2 iphone x's until UPS gets their crap together. We are going to the store today to see what they will do, but im still upset that i will have to wait another month to get the phone i was expecting to have yesterday. Which was my birthday by the way. The people are cruel that do this! please let me know of any ways to track the phone or how you resolved your conflict, thanks.

Mishabella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Cali
I feel you, I ordered the iphone x a month back and have been tracking the shipping until it arrived at my house. I took the day off to drive home from college to pick it up and found that the phone wasn't in the box. Some one from UPS had opened the box taken just the phone and re tapped it. I called T-mobile to get a refund or reorder and they told me to personally contact UPS and get the refund myself. Then we asked to speak with a manager, were put on hold for 45 minutes then hung up on. I'm furious with the customer service and how i will have to pay for 2 iphone x's until UPS gets their crap together. We are going to the store today to see what they will do, but im still upset that i will have to wait another month to get the phone i was expecting to have yesterday. Which was my birthday by the way. The people are cruel that do this! please let me know of any ways to track the phone or how you resolved your conflict, thanks.
Hey! Sorry to post so late. I had to reorder as well. UPS put in a ticket to see what happened. I’ve heard nothing. Insurance paid for the stolen phone. People suck sometimes. I hope you finally received yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.