Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anglea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
alabama
So I have been checking all day Verizon and Apple webpages and there are still phones for Sept 22. I still haven't decided if i want the 8 or X but kind of got scared I won't have an X for a VERY long time lol. Has anyone heard anything about how many they will have available? Many people say they aren't getting the X so im just confused if its just a lot of phones they had ready or just no one is getting iPhone this time

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It is mostly speculative at this point but judging from the rumor mills and the lack of any real shortage in the 8/8+ line up I suspect there is a lot of people waiting for the X so I suspect you will likely need to pre-order it at the time it goes up and quick. Similar to the launch of the 7/7+ IMHO. Or you can keep an eye on local supply and do the whole reserve at the point when Apple updates its inventories on their site but be prepared for a lot of checking and a lot of shortages.

This is just my opinion.

I don't know how long you will need to wait before you can just walk in and buy it but in the past when I have not reserved a phone I have been able to get a phone just by checking each morning the three or four stores in my area with fairly good success.

Reactions: anglea

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Few people are expected to buy the iPhone 8 and fewer people are expected to buy the X.

Basic math tells you iPhone X will be very supply constrained at launch.

Even the journalists who went to Steve Jobs Theater mentioned there were far too few demo units on hand.

Using the rumored production rate of 10k/day, even if Foxconn increased production by 25% every 7 days, Apple only ends up with 1 million units on October 31. If we pretend Foxconn were assembling 10k/day since August 2017, that only adds 300k units to the pool.

During previous launches like iPhone 6S, Apple sold 13 million over the launch weekend. Traditionally, 40% of those sales are the expensive Plus models, which translates to 5 million units.

Apple will have at best 1.5 million units of iPhone X at launch for worldwide consumption.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Few people are expected to buy the iPhone 8 and fewer people are expected to buy the X.

Even the journalists who went to Steve Jobs Theater mentioned there were far too few demo units on hand.

Using the rumored production rate of 10k/day, even if Foxconn increased production by 25% every 7 days, Apple only ends up with 1 million units on October 31. If we pretend Foxconn were assembling 10k/day since August 2017, that only adds 300k units to the pool.

During previous launches like iPhone 6S, Apple sold 13 million over the launch weekend. Traditionally, 40% of those sales are the expensive Plus models, which translates to 5 million units.

Apple will have at best 1.5 million units of iPhone X at launch for worldwide consumption.

Ya but most of the people who pre ordered didnt get it on launch day last year. This year the split launched helped both causes i would assume.

Reactions: anglea

anglea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
alabama
It is mostly speculative at this point but judging from the rumor mills and the lack of any real shortage in the 8/8+ line up I suspect there is a lot of people waiting for the X so I suspect you will likely need to pre-order it at the time it goes up and quick. Similar to the launch of the 7/7+ IMHO. Or you can keep an eye on local supply and do the whole reserve at the point when Apple updates its inventories on their site but be prepared for a lot of checking and a lot of shortages.

This is just my opinion.

I don't know how long you will need to wait before you can just walk in and buy it but in the past when I have not reserved a phone I have been able to get a phone just by checking each morning the three or four stores in my area with fairly good success.

I would do that but last year Verizon has 0 of the Jet blacks so I don't know if apple would do the same and not sent X's to store

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy

In the article today Kuo predicted roughly 40 million units will be produced by the end of the 2017, which is less than the original 45-50 million predicted, but that still means there will be far more than 1.5 million units at launch as production will ramp up from the 10k a day that was rumored earlier.

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I would do that but last year Verizon has 0 of the Jet blacks so I don't know if apple would do the same and not sent X's to store

It is hard saying. Apple's supply chain tends to be the best I find so unless I have a specific reason to go through my carrier I usually just go through Apple. I am fairly certain the carrier stores will have iPhone X's the question is how many and how often will they get resupplies.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I have a feeling that if you don't get your preorder through in less than 3-4 minutes after preordering goes live, you won't be getting it this year at all. It'll be brutal.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
In the article today Kuo predicted roughly 40 million units will be produced by the end of the 2017, which is less than the original 45-50 million predicted, but that still means there will be far more than 1.5 million units at launch as production will ramp up from the 10k a day that was rumored earlier.

It makes me mad that they dont give Americans priority. American company, take care of your own first!!! lol But in the real world money trumps where you were born...lol.,
[doublepost=1505516756][/doublepost]
I have a feeling that if you don't get your preorder through in less than 3-4 minutes after preordering goes live, you won't be getting it this year at all. It'll be brutal.

All i hope for is they do reservations to pick a time to go in, i live in a small city and i get 8am every year. besides last year.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Personally, I don't trust that number.

During Q4'16, Apple reported shipping 78 million iPhones worldwide. That includes everything from SE to iPhone 7 Plus.

iPhone X is a brand new design with production issues - and it's expected to jump to 40 million and represent 50% of iPhone shipments? I would suggest 10-20 million by Dec 31 would be more reasonable.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy

During Q4'16, Apple reported shipping 78 million iPhones worldwide. That includes everything from SE to iPhone 7 Plus.

iPhone X is a brand new design with production issues - and it's expected to jump to 40 million and represent 50% of iPhone shipments? I would suggest 10-20 million by Dec 31 would be more reasonable.
Well he's been right up to this point for the most part, we can only hope he's right again.

anglea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
alabama

I hope so. I think if I can't get it soon and delivery is a few weeks back I would probably not get it at all

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

Really, all those numbers don’t matter. Cause I only need 1...lol

Reactions: Apple_Robert

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Its a test in patience, you guys know the score and how the game goes down. Test your apps, your Apple Pay logins, do dry runs, test your router latency and which place you should be sitting for best ping, I’m serious...

Every second counts and each second literally translates to hundreds of places down the line aka weeks + weeks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.