Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Rochester, NY
I bought a full price t-mobile iPhone X this morning. AFAIK those phones only accepted GSM sims and not CDMA (Verizon, Sprint). I just popped a Verizon SIM into it and it works fine! Took a minute to load and do a carrier update but both data and calling is working with Verizon SIM.

Can anyone let me know what's going on? I was under the impression the only phone that supported CDMA and GSM was if you purchased the Verizon edition.

Reactions: 5pctoff

MattJones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Rochester, NY
It works, but you won’t get LTE
Using it with LTE right now.
[doublepost=1509737945][/doublepost]
Actually it will work on LTE but not on CDMA(no Qualcomm radio). So that means the OP is in a LTE market with good coverage.

Dave
So does this mean there will be times when I have no connection at all while using the Verizon SIM

Reactions: iPhonagain

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So does this mean there will be times when I have no connection at all while using the Verizon SIM

Correct. It will not be able to fall back on CDMA towers. Basically from LTE to no service.

Sorry about the first post. It will get LTE, but it will go from service to no service frequently

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Are you able to do everything normally, including MMS and visual voice mail? I just bought an AT&T iPhone X and will be using it with Verizon.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
That is a bad idea unless you live in a large urban area with lot's of great Verizon LTE coverage. You will not be able to use the CDMA coverage area of Verizon territory because your AT&T iPhone X does not have a CDMA modem.

You might want to take it back and get a Verizon / Sprint Model.

Dave

daufieri

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
I bought a full price t-mobile iPhone X this morning. AFAIK those phones only accepted GSM sims and not CDMA (Verizon, Sprint). I just popped a Verizon SIM into it and it works fine! Took a minute to load and do a carrier update but both data and calling is working with Verizon SIM.

Can anyone let me know what's going on? I was under the impression the only phone that supported CDMA and GSM was if you purchased the Verizon edition.

Hey MAn, quick question i just ordered to a full price tmob iphone x with the hope it is uncloked from apple store. What do i do regarding activation since i have no intention to commit to a tmobile plan.. how to i get it . activated so i can use att or such?

thank you

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Hey MAn, quick question i just ordered to a full price tmob iphone x with the hope it is uncloked from apple store. What do i do regarding activation since i have no intention to commit to a tmobile plan.. how to i get it . activated so i can use att or such?

thank you

Simply put the AT&T sim in and go about the normal setup. All full price iPhones purchased at apple are unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The AT&T and T-Mobile versions don't have cdma tech inside.
Will only work on gsm.
Unless you bought it at Best Buy or other resellers that sell the Verizon version of the phone that includes both cdma and gsm radios.

Kardinal1911

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Houston
I purchased my phone from T-Mobile this morning and it’s model A1901 Which means it’s an unlocked device.. Check your model numbers people

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I purchased my phone from T-Mobile this morning and it’s model A1901 Which means it’s an unlocked device.. Check your model numbers people

A1901 doesn’t necessarily mean unlocked. It’s the radio model phone (intel / gsm). My a1901 is on contract and att locked.

A1901 lacks cdma

But afaik t mobile only
Sells unlocked phones

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy

That’s interesting that you got it to work. Even if it’s only LTE you should be in good shape since Verizon has LTE almost everywhere these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.