Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It's been just over 24 hours and I love this thing. For me it feels like the iPhone has it's soul back that went missing on the release of the 6.

My favourite iPhones were both 5's, the 4 obviously as it was such a change and the original. The 6 was my least favourite. I hated the increase in size, I hated the way it looked, the first camera bump, it felt rubbish in the hand and I dropped and bent it multiple times which didn't help (it got slammed in a car door twice! haha)
I got on with the 6s much better and then I bought the 7 Plus last year. I didn't even want to increase size to the original 6 so I thought the Plus was stupid, but I wanted the dual cameras.

It took me less than 30 minutes to get used to the size of the Plus screen, in that it felt no different to the non-plus model. It didn't enhance anything, it didn't improve anything - it just made the phone bulkier and heavier. When you look at the plus model in store and don't own one it looks ridiculously big. When you use it your eyes adapt almost instantly to whatever screen you're looking at and instead you're left with a lump in your pocket.

The Jet Black was so fragile and the size so big I was forced for the first time ever (after owning every single iPhone) to put it in a case...making it twice as thick and even heavier in my pocket. The phone has been fine but looking back now I'd say the 7 Plus has been second least favourite iPhone just above the original 6.

As I said, the X feels like it's got it's soul of the originals back. It looks beautiful, it feels beautiful, its light in the pocket, it's actually usable with one hand. It feels like a Steve Jobs/Jony Ive product, the 6/6s/7 just felt like corporate slabs to appeal to the masses.

The funny thing is I left the keynote totally unimpressed. I was very concerned about Face ID. Within 24 hours i've forgotten the phone as any kind of security method, thats how well Face ID works. I just pick it up and swipe up, I don't even think about it doing anything unlocking. It feels like i've got my phone unlocked all the time when of course I don't. The only two times it failed on me was when I was in bed with 80% of my face buried in the pillow peering out with one eye at the screen, which is fair enough.

I can't say OLED adds any improvement over LCD here. In big screen TV's (I have a 2017 65" LG Oled) it's a game changer, but it's not without it's drawbacks there. On a phone, meh...it's all hype and Android users claiming it's better. You'd be hard pushed for any member of the general public to know or care the screen technology was any different to the last few iPhones. The increase in resolution offers nothing either - your eyes already couldn't see the pixels. If anything it's a seamless change for any already excellent LCD Apple made. It might make a bigger difference to iPads which have quite poor LED light bleed to my eyes if they can keep it uniform.

It's so nice to go case-less again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.