Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FabTBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
I've had my iPhone X space grey since early December and from the moment I got it put a screen protector and an apple silicone case on it, in order to protect it. After about two weeks I wanted to clean my iPhone and therefore took it out of its case. That is when I noticed the weird scratch on the bottom left corner of the phone, which you can hopefully see in the pictures down below. It appears that the scratch is not on the glass or the stainless steel, but rather on the 'plastic' like element in-between the two. I've ignored it until now, but have become really curious. I have never dropped my phone and the only time it has ever left my eyesight was at the apple store, where the employee briefly took it away to apply the screen protector. I know that it also can't be a scratch from something in my pockets, as my phone is always the only thing in the pocket. Logically speaking the scratch shouldn't exist in the first place as the location is covered up by my silicone apple case. So what's the deal here, has anyone else experienced this? Should I take it to the apple store and if so whats' gonna happen? I know it doesn't impact the performance of the phone, but when you pay such a premium price, things like this really get on my nerves.

IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5079.JPG
    IMG_5079.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_5082.JPG
    IMG_5082.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_5083.JPG
    IMG_5083.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 337

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My guess is something that had to do with your case and perhaps something was lodged inside the case where rubbed up against the iPhone, causing it to scratch. Try taking a microfiber cloth, slightly dampen it, and see if you can kind remove it. It might be a “Scuff”, but it’s worth trying.

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Any dust/dirt that gets inside the case can scratch your phone. I take my phone out of its case to clean it every week or so to minimize this.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

FabTBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
My guess is something that had to do with your case and perhaps something was lodged inside the case where rubbed up against the iPhone, causing it to scratch. Try taking a microfiber cloth, slightly dampen it, and see if you can kind remove it. It might be a “Scuff”, but it’s worth trying.
Tried the microfibre cloth, it seemed to have darkened the scratch a bit but it returned back to normal after ten seconds.
[doublepost=1518370805][/doublepost]After looking at the scratch more closely it seems that it is more than just a cuff, and almost a small cut or indent in the 'plastic' like material.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Generally too tight / cheap cases are to be blamed for such things.

In this situation, the OP actually used an Apple OEM silicone case. So my thoughts are either the damage occurred without the OP knowing how it happened before they put the case on or it happened at the Apple store when the employee the applied the screen protector as noted, or debris was trapped inside the case which rubbed up against the phone to scratch it.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
In this situation, the OP actually used an Apple OEM silicone case. So my thoughts are either the damage occurred without the OP knowing how it happened before they put the case on or it happened at the Apple store when the employee the applied the screen protector as noted, or debris was trapped inside the case which rubbed up against the phone to scratch it.

Oh, I must’ve missed that bit of info, apologies.

FabTBC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Generally too tight / cheap cases are to be blamed for such things.
It's an official Apple Silicone rubber case
[doublepost=1518381574][/doublepost]
I agree, I find it likely to have occurred at the apple store, while the employe was handling the phone. I find it unlikely that debris would have caused this, as I generally keep it in the left pocket of my jacket, which I do clean regularly.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I find it likely to have occurred at the apple store, while the employe was handling the phone. I find it unlikely that debris would have caused this, as I generally keep it in the left pocket of my jacket, which I do clean regularly.

I have always had much better results with silicone cases than hard plastic cases protecting my phone in the past. Especially using Apple OEM cases, they fit the phone much better than some third-party cases do. But you could check with your local Apple Store and see what options you have.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Soft gummy case will harm the finish on an iPhone just as well as hard cases. The whole point is to keep debris from getting in the case between the case and your phone as it will abrade or scuff the phone surface. They both can damage a phone.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Could’ve came on the phone from the factory. I’m not sure but when I took my brand new iPhone X out of the box it was very dirty. Didn’t even look new had a Chunk of glue on the top. Needless to say I got warranty replacement. My girlfriends had dust under the lens. Then all was great my speaker stopped working so I then got another one had dust under the lens so I then got the one I have now. It has a little bit of the paint missing at the bottom. Doesn’t bother me much tho. So I just left it alone. But I can say this. I don’t think Apple has very good quality control. I see people on here all the time with dust or hair under then lens. And Defects.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
The silicon cases are dust/dirt magnets. Gave them up. Something probably got in while iPhone was out of case and not noticed. Then as stated, scratched iPhone when case was put back on. Not a pretty sight :(

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The silicon cases are dust/dirt magnets. Gave them up. Something probably got in while iPhone was out of case and not noticed. Then as stated, scratched iPhone when case was put back on. Not a pretty sight :(

I usually take a microfiber cloth and wipe down a case if I do use one, to remove any debris. It’s just a matter of remembering.

Reactions: rugmankc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.