Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has anyone ever seen PhantomKeys appear on bottom of Home Screen, even when keyboard wasn't accessed

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wut?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
I recently upgraded my iPhone from the X to the XS Max. I noticed issues with the keys from the keyboard appearing when any user, regardless of technical expertise, wouldn't expect to see keys appear in the bottom half of the display. After many times of troubleshooting from restarting, all the way up to restoring my phone as new from a DFU mode, the problem persisted. Once I was at the end of my technical experience/former training, I took it into Apple to see if they had any ideas. Scheduling an appointment, I explained to the Tech Expert in the clearest, direct way I knew how. They would just look at me, although being very understanding. There didn't seem to be a way that I could reproduce every time, 100% of the time. Taking my word for it and believing that I knew what I was doing, they realized I had taken all of the steps that they would have taken for this issue. After about 3 times of visiting the store, they replaced my iPhone X twice for this same issue.
All of that to say, I didn't notice this being an issue when iOS 12 first released with the iPhone X. It wasn't until probably 12.1 or 12.1.1 that this started appearing. Fast-forward to today, I am using an iPhone X with the latest official public release, with a recently installed, fresh/clean copy of iOS 12 on my phone and I just experienced this issue this morning.

At this point, I am at a loss because there isn't a way to get a screenshot or screen recording of it when it is happening. Has anyone seen anything like this on their devices in the past 8 months or so?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I recently upgraded my iPhone from the X to the XS Max. I noticed issues with the keys from the keyboard appearing when any user, regardless of technical expertise, wouldn't expect to see keys appear in the bottom half of the display. After many times of troubleshooting from restarting, all the way up to restoring my phone as new from a DFU mode, the problem persisted. Once I was at the end of my technical experience/former training, I took it into Apple to see if they had any ideas. Scheduling an appointment, I explained to the Tech Expert in the clearest, direct way I knew how. They would just look at me, although being very understanding. There didn't seem to be a way that I could reproduce every time, 100% of the time. Taking my word for it and believing that I knew what I was doing, they realized I had taken all of the steps that they would have taken for this issue. After about 3 times of visiting the store, they replaced my iPhone X twice for this same issue.
All of that to say, I didn't notice this being an issue when iOS 12 first released with the iPhone X. It wasn't until probably 12.1 or 12.1.1 that this started appearing. Fast-forward to today, I am using an iPhone X with the latest official public release, with a recently installed, fresh/clean copy of iOS 12 on my phone and I just experienced this issue this morning.

At this point, I am at a loss because there isn't a way to get a screenshot or screen recording of it when it is happening. Has anyone seen anything like this on their devices in the past 8 months or so?
Sounds similar to https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xr-phantom-keyboard-presses-on-home-screen.2158914/

Reactions: Jimmy Bubbles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.