Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer True Tone enabled?

• Total voters

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Former iPhone 6s user here. Having spent the last 2 days with the new iPhone XR, I am just wondering what other's thoughts are on the True Tone display?

My impression is that somehow with the True Tone enabled, I feel that colour is generally 'warmer' than my iPhone 6s, to the extent that I feel like there is a tint of yellow on it. Is this normal?

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Haven't gotten along with it. Gets too yellow for me. I just use Night Shift instead and manually select the white point i'm comfortable with.

Reactions: 2GoldFish

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Yes same on my XR, definitely towards yellow. But when I turn it off the display is almost blue-ish which I know some people prefer. In all honesty I don’t know which I prefer. I’ve left TT on for now.

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Haven't gotten along with it. Gets too yellow for me. I just use Night Shift instead and manually select the white point i'm comfortable with.

Same here, I think it would take some time for me to adjust to this. It doesn't have that crisp look with TT enabled.

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
I supposed this is a TT thing, rather than an iPhone XR thing right?

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
I’m not sure, I can’t put my finger on it
It just seems more natural
Sometimes my X was quite yellow

Interesting. I think I might go and check out iPhone XS display in store.

Would be great to hear from others who have used both XR and XS as well.

AlthePal

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2018
A lot of people feel TT on the X/XS/XS Max is too yellow, but works well on other devices. Could be the differences in LCD vs. OLED. I can’t comment much on that as my XS Max is the first device I have with TT. TT basically mimics how a piece of paper would look under the same lighting conditions you are in. It’s easier on the eyes and is suppose to be more natural looking. I usually leave mine off, although if I keep it on, my eyes do adjust and I don’t notice the whites being so yellow.

Reactions: doboy and 2GoldFish

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I received my XR this afternoon. I had thought my 6s was warm, but it actually looks cool compared to my XR. I can't say that I'm smitten with the XR yet, though I want to be. However, that has to do more with the size of fonts than the warmness of the screen.

I actually like the XR screen with TT on. It's easier on my eyes.

Last edited:

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
I received my XR this afternoon. I had thought my 6s was warm, but it actually looks cool compared to my XR. I can't say that I'm smitten with the XR yet, though I want to be. However, that has to do more with the size of fonts than the warmness of the screen.

I actually like the XR screen with TT on. It's easier on my eyes.

I went to a local store and checked out an iPhone XS on display. And I also find that XS is warmer than XR with TT on. My personal preference is the XR screen as XS is a ted warm for me.

Interesting...

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I went to a local store and checked out an iPhone XS on display. And I also find that XS is warmer than XR with TT on. My personal preference is the XR screen as XS is a ted warm for me.

Interesting...

It may be somewhat relative from phone to phone and model to model--I'm not sure. I'm growing more fond of the warm display of the XR compared to my 6s, which I've always liked before. The XR is more like reading with a paper background.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
XR way too bluish with TT turned off and I agree having it on is much easier on the eyes. I generally don't use night shift as that really makes the screen yellow.

While the OLED screens have a more clarity and vivid colors which I generally prefer, I find myself really satisfied with the LCD display on the Xr. Again just easier on my eyes!

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
TrueTone works perfectly fine. The problem is when one display is warmer (or much warmer in some cases) than another, with truetone enabled the former display is going to look warm and the other is going to look “yellow”

Now perhaps the XR displays are calibrated cooler in general. TrueTone is therefore going to look more appropriate in terms of matching ambient lightning than the XS

2GoldFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
XR way too bluish with TT turned off and I agree having it on is much easier on the eyes. I generally don't use night shift as that really makes the screen yellow.

While the OLED screens have a more clarity and vivid colors which I generally prefer, I find myself really satisfied with the LCD display on the Xr. Again just easier on my eyes!

I supposed for me, my initial impression with the TT was comparing between XR with TT vs 6s (rather than TT vs no TT on XR). And if I have the 6s and XR (with TT) side by side, it looks like XR is warmer than 6s.

Anyway, I guess I have to/will have to get used to this soon.

Not really a complaint, just wanted others thoughts on it.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I love it.

It took me a few hours to get used to on the 8 but now when I turn it off the screen looks super cold.

Reactions: Broadus

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Just got my XR..
I find it warmer when TT is on.. so I turned it off...

When i had iphone X I turned on my true tone coz off is too bluish....

I think TT makes lcd more warmer and OLED is different just my observation...

I remember when i have iphone7 i also turned off the TT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.