Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eli38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Not much to say here besides that I turned on my new iPhone Xs Max and its screen is not uniform, in other words defective. Have you checked yours on a gray background?

Attachments

• iphone xs max.jpg
    iphone xs max.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 712

Eli38

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks for sharing, that's exactly what I was looking for!
[doublepost=1538028691][/doublepost]
Turn on reduce transparency, what your seeing is whatever was on the screen before you put it on the power down screen. It does the same thing when you activate control center.
Like this:
View attachment 789447
Stupid me and you are right.

Last edited:

Dru_555

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2014
Hey what’s going on with Apple’s manufacturing quality lately? I just got a series 4 (aluminum, 40 mm) and a XS Max and, on both, I’ve noticed some defects which, any one of, I would have considered a fluke. Considering there are three defects between my two new devices, and that two of the three are the same problem, I’m concerned.

First, the edges all around my XS Max are sharp and gritty feeling. Keeps catching my skin and I understand that this is likely just a matter of imperfect fitment of the glass but I’m concerned that this will not just feel super annoying but, even hidden under a case, may reduce the advertised level of water resistance.

Second, and this is the problem both devices have in common, I’ve noticed warped spots on the screen, under the first layer. On the top layer, everything looks fine. The display works and looks entirely fine in those spots, but this warping is clearly visible when observed from certain angles. I’m worried that these issues, while seemingly benign right now, may spell trouble when it comes to my devices holding up against the wear and tear they’re supposed to be designed to handle.

I have an appointment coming up to see if they can swap them out while I’m within the 14 days but I’m worried I’ll just end up with the same thing, if the issues are prevalent among currently available models.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
I’ve had a 64gb and 256gb max, first one I returned because it had rough edges around the screen, and the band at the bottom had a slight gap I kept catching my finger on when I swiped down, this one I’m typing on has a rough edge at the back down one side.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Not much to say here besides that I turned on my new iPhone Xs Max and its screen is not uniform, in other words defective. Have you checked yours on a gray background?

Um, aren't those just the languages masked behind the transparent window? You are on the setup screen right?

Looks like a list of languages or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.