Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outerlight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey guys,

I realize there's nothing official yet, but I'm curious if we've learned something from data mining that I've missed.

Will the iPhone XS "Plus" (and the "iPhone 9" I guess) have the same issues that the iPhone X had at launch with apps? Meaning, will apps have to be updated for the resolution or will an app designed for the iPhone X simply adapt to the larger resolution? Basically, did Apple introduce three new target resolutions within a year or is there something I'm missing?

I realize that landscape support will require specific action like with the older Plus iPhones.

Any info from XCode or leaks to support this one way or another?

Thanks!

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
It's up to the app creators to update their apps. I'm sure a majority of them won't be full screen compatible like it was when the X was launch.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Most of the main apps will be fairly soon. I know our sky apps took nearly a year to update which was poor.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 6.5" iPhone Xs has a point size of 414x896. This is a brand new UIKit size.

The iPhone 6, 7, and 8 Plus was 414x736.

What this means is, unoptimized apps will fill the width of the 6.5" device. But there may be blank space above and below. Apps will need to be redesigned specifically for 6.5" to fill the top and bottom.

Outerlight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013

What this means is, unoptimized apps will fill the width of the 6.5" device. But there may be blank space above and below. Apps will need to be redesigned specifically for 6.5" to fill the top and bottom.

Thanks, yeah this is kind of what I was afraid of. I got an X at launch. There were some apps that didn't even fill the width of the X, there was some black space on the sides too. Hopefully updates come quickly.

Ah right, the X is 3x. Interestingly enough I'm guessing the 6.1" would be 2x which would give it the same UIKit size, unless the resolution is lower than anticipated. Kinda interesting that the cheaper 6.1" could get the benefits from a "Plus" UI while the more expensive standard sized X/XS will not.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015

Thank for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. The size will be at a minimum the same as my 8+ for my aging eyes. If optimized I get more real estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.