Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
I have a 2019 Honda HRV. Yesterday was the first lengthy road trip I took with this car. I had a new ParaCable brand USB to lightning cable in the 1.5ma USB port of the Honda, which is the one to use with CarPlay. My iPhone, which was running iOS 13.0 public beta connected fine all day, but curiously the battery depleted the whole time I was driving. It was so bad that my iPhone almost completely depleted by the time I reached my destination.

I have since updated my iPhone XS to iOS 13.1 Public Beta. I tried it for a few minutes parked and I observed it deplete 2% connected to ParaCable cable. I tried it with a different cable and I did not see battery depletion, but this older cable is more finicky in actually connecting to CarPlay. I probably have an Apple cable but they are so fragile especially when used in a car.

Any hints to find a reliable, durable cable that will not deplete the battery of my iPhone whilst driving?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a 2019 Honda HRV. Yesterday was the first lengthy road trip I took with this car. I had a new ParaCable brand USB to lightning cable in the 1.5ma USB port of the Honda, which is the one to use with CarPlay. My iPhone, which was running iOS 13.0 public beta connected fine all day, but curiously the battery depleted the whole time I was driving. It was so bad that my iPhone almost completely depleted by the time I reached my destination.

I have since updated my iPhone XS to iOS 13.1 Public Beta. I tried it for a few minutes parked and I observed it deplete 2% connected to ParaCable cable. I tried it with a different cable and I did not see battery depletion, but this older cable is more finicky in actually connecting to CarPlay. I probably have an Apple cable but they are so fragile especially when used in a car.

Any hints to find a reliable, durable cable that will not deplete the battery of my iPhone whilst driving?

Belkin makes a cable, sold at Apple stores that I use. It comes in black which looks better in my car’s interior and it’s a much more durable material than the stock Apple Cable. Never had an issue with it

Just browsed the Apple Store website and looks like Mophie has a few similar options as well.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks. Do you use your cable with a Honda?

No, not with a Honda. Mine is in an Audi and my wife has the same cable in a Land Rover. Both charging and functioning properly with CarPlay. I believe the material of the cable is a very tightly woven nylon.

Did you try a reboot? Might be something software related causing that battery depletion.

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
Thanks. I did reboot and I updated the iOS. I have the black Belkin chord you mention as I needed to buy it in a pinch in an airport once. I will give it a go.

Reactions: Itinj24

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
I put the Belkin cable in my car and sat parked while on a phone call for about 15 minutes. My phone was fully charged at the outset but I did not see any reduction in the battery percent. FYI, my phone did not connect to CarPlay the first couple of times for some weird reason. But I turned off the car and turned it back on and after that it seemed to reliably connect to CarPlay without battery depletion (at least in the few minutes of my test). I guess my next trip will be a telling .

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.