Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi

I've tried to figure this out, couldn't so reaching out for help

* I've got an iPhone 6, on iOs 9.3.5, all legit, no jailbreak.
* I synch and back it up on my PC using itunes (widows version -12.4.0.119 ).
* Even after back up and synch, The free space on the phone shows close to 1.5 GB - Settings -> General -> Storage and usage, While the free space shown on itunes (Win PC / laptop version) is close to 2.4+ GB (iTunes, click on iPhone icon, click on summary and see bar at the bottom of screen)
* I've synched backed up multiple times... but the difference remains
* I've got a 16GB version so every GB counts !!
* What am I doing wrong ? and how could I fix this ?

Thanks in advance for your help
regards
Subu

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Could always backup -> restore -> restore from backup to see if that deals with the issue.

Otherwise just go with the lower number (only 1.5 gb) so that you don't run into issues thinking you have 2.4+

Reactions: Subu

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks Hal

I'm Not sure what issues this "...backup -> restore from backup .." process has
Are there settings to backup *everything*, I mean *everything* ? or would there be some missing stuff
anyhow, thanks for your quick reply
Yes, I'm going with the 1.5# till I get an iPhone 7 !! :)

regards
Subu

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It's usually "Other" data. A build up of cached files inside of apps that don't get deleted from temporary memory like they should. It happens sometimes.

Plug into iTunes, make sure you tick "encrypt this iPhone" to the left of the backup button so it saves all your passwords and health data. Then hit backup. Once it's done (it'll say "backed up today at xx o clock to this computer" on the right side) then hit restore. Once restored, restore the encrypted backup and your phone will be exactly the same, but minus the cached data that shouldnt be there as this isn't saved in the backup process.

Reactions: Subu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.