Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
iPhoto 08 wasn't able to show the included JPG in the NEF file. Is it any different with iPhoto 09?

I'm asking because I'm using CNX 2 as raw converter and I like iPhoto more than for example ViewNX. But it doesn't make much sense to use iPhoto if it doesn't show the changes I made to the pictures in CNX. iPhoto 08 always converts the original RAW data (as it can't read all NEF data). An option to use the included JPG file (which includes the changes I made in CNX) isn't available unfortunately. ViewNX or iView/Expression Media 2 can show the included JPG file.

Can iPhoto 09 do it too?

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
You need to save as a tiff file to keep your changes in NX2. Do a "New Version" first and then save as and you'll have the changes in a tiff file as well as have the changes available when you open the file again in NX2.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
You need to save as a tiff file to keep your changes in NX2. Do a "New Version" first and then save as and you'll have the changes in a tiff file as well as have the changes available when you open the file again in NX2.

I know this workaround but I don't like to create a new tiff file.

The really useful thing about the NEFs is:

* They include all IPTC data
* They include all CNX changes
* They include a JPEG sample of the current version

So I don't want to create a new (tiff) file just to *show* the current version in my picture library.

I think Preview shows the JPG included in the NEF but iPhoto 08 can't. I guess iPhoto 09 can't do it too then?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I just tried it and the answer seems to be no. I opened a NEF in an instance of CNX2 launched from iPhoto, cropped it, and saved it, and closed CNX2 to return to iPhoto and the preview image did not reflect the crop. I could simply be confused too, since I don't normally use either tool.

To be honest with you, if you're normally working with raw files, then an investment in either Lightroom or Aperture would probably be to your benefit.

edit: in the case of Lightroom, a new file would be created for the external editor since LR enforces non-destructive image editing. Not sure what it would do for CNX2 since I don't use that software. I'll experiment..

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I know this workaround but I don't like to create a new tiff file.

The really useful thing about the NEFs is:

* They include all IPTC data
* They include all CNX changes
* They include a JPEG sample of the current version

Nikon purposly encrypts data in the NEF file just so they can maintain a monopoly on converters that use that camera this information.

I'm still not 100% sure I want to continue with Nikon but I've got
so much f-mount gear.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
To be honest with you, if you're normally working with raw files, then an investment in either Lightroom or Aperture would probably be to your benefit.

I already tried them and they are both nice programs however I like the output of CNX better. Plus (as you already said) Lightroom and Aperture both need XML sidecar files for the IPTC data and the changes done which is exactly what I want to avoid. I'm just looking for a new catalog program to replace ViewNX and thought maybe iPhoto 09 might be it. Unfortunately it isn't. Thanks anyways.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Nikon purposly encrypts data in the NEF file just so they can maintain a monopoly on converters that use that camera this information.

Yes I know, but the JPG included is not encrypted. It works with Preview and other tools, though it doesn't with iPhoto unfortunately.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Plus (as you already said) Lightroom and Aperture both need XML sidecar files for the IPTC data and the changes done which is exactly what I want to avoid.

This is a bit off topic, but while XML sidecars are a configuration option, Lightroom's default behavior is to store the changes in its catalog (a SQLLite database).

It might be worth your while to see if Microsoft Expression Media does what you need (link). I used to use a version of that back before Microsoft bought that company. It was file based rather than repository based.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It might be worth your while to see if Microsoft Expression Media does what you need (link). I used to use a version of that back before Microsoft bought that company. It was file based rather than repository based.

iView/MS Expression Media does exactly what I need (and I already got a iView license) though I don't like the geotagging part of Expression Media 2. I heard iPhoto 09 does this pretty well, that's why I looked into it. If they fix geotagging in Expression Media 3 or so I'll probably upgrade.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
You're correct in that iPhoto will not use the embedded JPGs from another program for a RAW file. The reason is almost definitely because iPhoto does its own RAW conversion and uses it to generate the preview jpgs from which you are supposed to make edits. It's not a true cataloging app. That's just how the application works.

Now, technically, you can replace iPhoto's preview JPEGs with new ones, and iPhoto will be none the wiser -- as long as you don't edit the picture in iPhoto it will use the new preview. But this will be a huge PITA and extra steps. Probably not what you're looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.