Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I have been reading that many Aperture 2 users have considered jumping back to iPhoto for some of the features that iPhoto 9 has. I am at the point of wanting to upgrade my photo handling. Right now, I have iPhoto 8.

I need to have my new program before the end of October and I am not sure if I should focus on iPhoto 9, waiting for Aperture 3, or just getting Aperture 2.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
That all depends if those are features you care about.

For large and complex libraries, Aperture is second to none, especially for those who need to be able to sort by various methods (lens used, shutter speed, camera used, etc.)

If you want face-recognition, use iPhoto 09.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
First of all, do you shoot in RAW? If you are shooting RAW, you shouldn't even consider iPhoto and get Aperture or Adobe Lightroom.

I use Aperture 2 (for SLR-RAW), my wife uses iPhoto '09 (for iPhone and point & shoot JPEG). I would't be at all concerned with iPhoto '09 only features like locations and face recognition. Although both are neat fun features, Aperture's photo management feature is far superior than iPhoto overall. Aperture 3 will undoubtedly add these 2 features and more.

Beyond folders and albums, iPhoto lacks key organization concept such as projects, for instance. On iPhoto, deleting a photo from album requires figuring out a secret key combination.

If I am jealous of any particular iPhoto features, it would be overall faster operation and more effective (although primitive) noise reduction filter.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Thank you for the responses. My gut was Aperture 2 vs. iPhoto but I had read an article that said people (for some reason) were jumping to iPhoto 09.

Right now, I have iPhoto 08 and a Canon xti with 50mm f/1.4 lens. I also have the stock lens, but rarely use it. I am slowly learning how to use my camera and would like to try my hand at shooting in RAW but I fully admit that I am a novice. However, even with my limited photography knowledge, I find myself limited by iPhoto 08.

I would like to have the most up to date Aperture program but I am also expecting a little one in early November....I would prefer to know my way around a new program roughly by the time baby arrives. I am excited to take photos of this little one from birth (vs. a year old for our eldest child) as I already have seen the changes in what I can capture with my Canon versus my point and shoot Kodak.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would prefer to know my way around a new program roughly by the time baby arrives. I am excited to take photos of this little one from birth (vs. a year old for our eldest child) as I already have seen the changes in what I can capture with my Canon versus my point and shoot Kodak.
You should download the 30-day trial version to get your feet wet. The learning curve is surprisingly small. I find it easier to use than iPhoto in many situations even.

If you are like me, you will be shooting LOTS and LOTS photos when the little one comes out, and you will want better organization tool than what iPhoto gives you. And start shooting RAW now. You will want that extra headroom as you will be shooting under tricky lighting often.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I am going to wait for a refresh in aperture before I purchase, Version 2 been out for a while, so I will now wait until it hits version 3. I have iPhoto 9, it is ok, but if iPhoto 8 is working for you then stick with it.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
iPhoto and Aperture Libraries

So for people who presently have iPhoto and will be buying Aperture, do you recommend keeping the iPhoto libraries and just start using the Aperture libraries for new shots, or would you import the iPhoto library into Aperture?

I see Aperture can view and use the iPhoto libraries, so I am wondering if it better to merge the two or keep them separate.

Also would it be worth considering having an iPhoto [point and shoot jpeg] library for new shots and put the new DSLR [incl. RAW] shots into an Aperture library?

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Aperture over iPhoto except Faces and Places

So for people who presently have iPhoto and will be buying Aperture, do you recommend keeping the iPhoto libraries and just start using the Aperture libraries for new shots, or would you import the iPhoto library into Aperture?

I see Aperture can view and use the iPhoto libraries, so I am wondering if it better to merge the two or keep them separate.

Also would it be worth considering having an iPhoto [point and shoot jpeg] library for new shots and put the new DSLR [incl. RAW] shots into an Aperture library?

Whatever you choose, keep your photos in one library. If families have two or more photographers using library software, your decision may be different.

If you choose Aperture, you can easily import your iPhoto library into it. I had the same question early on, but Aperture imports all your originals. If I remember right, it imports iPhoto adjustments as a "version" or a separate photo in a stack or something. In Aperture, you can have many versions, and only one photo is stored. In iPhoto, the original and one modified version are stored.

In my opinion, there are only three compelling reasons to store photos in iPhoto over Aperture. 1) Faces, 2) Places, 3) simple needs. If you need to create calendars or something, you just reveal your Aperture library in iPhoto, drag photos in, and create your project.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although Aperture imports from iPhoto quite easily, it will, as previous poster said, create a separate version if you do any sort of retouching. Although that is not entirely wrong, that is a bit different from how Aperture stores on its own. Version is only supposed to be created explicitly.

In your case, I would use Aperture for managing both P&S and SLR photos. Aperture is just so much superior at managing photos that there is no going back.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Whatever you choose, keep your photos in one library. If families have two or more photographers using library software, your decision may be different.

Our family has three potential photographers. My wife, myself, and our 6 year old who just got her first camera. Perhaps we will move all of our present photos into Aperture, then let our 6 year old build her own discrete iPhoto library. Would this result in a logical setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.