Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricciardella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
McMurray, PA
After a photo is edited and saved as a .psd file in Elements, it does not appear in iPhoto 08. Only the original unedited .jpg appears. This presents a problem in that I cannot see any PSE-edited photos from within iPhoto. I tried flattening the image and saving it as a jpg with a different name, but iPhoto doesn't display it.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

I became a Mac user in February. Any feedback or advice will be appreciated.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
After a photo is edited and saved as a .psd file in Elements, it does not appear in iPhoto 08. Only the original unedited .jpg appears. This presents a problem in that I cannot see any PSE-edited photos from within iPhoto. I tried flattening the image and saving it as a jpg with a different name, but iPhoto doesn't display it.

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

I became a Mac user in February. Any feedback or advice will be appreciated.

When you are finished editing in Elements don't do "Save As..." or change the type oe name of the file just do a plain "Save". Elements will save the file the iPhoto gave it. If you save it as a PSD then iPhoto will not be looking for it.

iPhoto expects the result inside the same file it gave to Elements.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I completely agree with the last response, and will add the following: Otherwise you can edit the photo, "Save As" (and to a known location or folder), and then use iPhoto to "import" the photo. iPhoto will import a copy of the photo, leaving the original in the folder or location you saved it to.

I save all my RAW photos to DVDs CDs, and to an external HD, and so scanned slide and film photos. Every now and then, I just import a photo or two, which in turn will show in iPhoto as usual. I also edit photos in iPhoto with PSE6, and save (or Save As) depending on what I am trying to do.

ricciardella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
McMurray, PA
Thank you for the feedback. It appears that you can edit in Elements and save as a .jpg in iPhoto. However, if I want to save the photo as a .psd file, I must store it in another directory and use Bridge to organize those photos, which is redundant.

I would appreciate any feedback on how other Elements users organize their photos (iPhoto, Bridge, other . . .).

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I have elements and Iphoto 08. I don't use bridge at all. Never have figured it out. I just save the pictures to the desktop then import them to iphoto or save the original from iphoto and then import into elements. Maybe one more step but then I don't have to figure bridge out.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thank you for the feedback. It appears that you can edit in Elements and save as a .jpg in iPhoto. However, if I want to save the photo as a .psd file, I must store it in another directory and use Bridge to organize those photos, which is redundant.

I would appreciate any feedback on how other Elements users organize their photos (iPhoto, Bridge, other . . .).

Bridge will beat iPhoto's download time by a wide margin, so I use both. This is what I do to download the photos from camera to computer: let iPhoto begin downloading the photos as usual, and then I launch PSE6 until the window with the options to download from a scanner, camera, etc. appears on the screen, and then select "Scan From Camera." As soon as I do that, Bridge launches and gives me the option top download photos from the camera to a folder on the desktop (for example). Meanwhile, iPhoto is still downloading photos, but Bridge will pass iPhoto "on the race to the finish." At that time I just "quit" Bridge, and when iPhoto finishes, I choose to delete the photos in the camera (card) or not.

Most times I don't use Bridge except for downloading photos to a folder. These are original RAW files that I later save to CD's and external hard drives. I also edit photos with PSE6 from within iPhoto, photos which are JPEG. But iPhoto also saves the original photos (RAW, JPEG, etc.) in a dated folder called "Originals." Sometimes I move the "original photos" to CDs, DVDs, or hard drives for safekeeping, but you have to know how to do that to avoid screwing-up iPhoto. That's why I prefer to use the photos downloaded with Bridge, or even with Graphic Converter, and to save these instead.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Agree with the comments about Bridge being unnecessary. But I am not certain I understand - or, if I do understand, don't agree - with the comment about using the "Save" command. In most cases, I want to keep both the original AND the edited photo.

When editing a RAW image in CS2 or elements, I prefer to "Save as" into a working folder, them import the edited photo into iPhoto; that way, I don't lose the original and both are visible in the iPhoto viewer / editor.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Agree with the comments about Bridge being unnecessary. But I am not certain I understand - or, if I do understand, don't agree - with the comment about using the "Save" command. In most cases, I want to keep both the original AND the edited photo.

When editing a RAW image in CS2 or elements, I prefer to "Save as" into a working folder, them import the edited photo into iPhoto; that way, I don't lose the original and both are visible in the iPhoto viewer / editor.

Well, it seems that you are doing fine, because what you don't want to do is to alter the original RAW image. PSE6 and CS2 don't mess around with the original file, and that's a good thing. So "Save As" is the way to go.

Now, I will try to explain the "other side" of the same issue: when using iPhoto, you will notice the icon "Edit" at the bottom of the window. If you select any of the photos and then click on "Edit," iPhoto launches whichever editing application you have set in the iPhoto's Preferences. If you have set iPhoto to launch PSE6, or CS2, or Graphic Converter, etc., then that application will launch. More than likely the image to be edited is not an original RAW image, but a JPEG copy of it. If the photo you have decided to edit is a RAW image, it's a good idea to Save As. However, it you look at the iPhoto window in detail, you will notice that you have the following:
-Events
-Photos
-Originals, and so forth...

The photos you see in the window are not the original photos, but JPEG copies of the original photos. It's a good idea to work with the JPEG images and leave the "Originals" alone. I just copy the original photos to a CD or hard drive, and work on copies of it. From RAW I save to TIFF or PSD sometimes, and then to JPEG for posting online, e-mailing, etc.

ricciardella

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
McMurray, PA
The comments and feedback have been very helpful. I didn't realize that you could import a .psd file into iPhoto. It should be easy to save a .psd to a working folder and then import the edited photo back into iPhoto, which will then contain both the original and edited versions.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The comments and feedback have been very helpful. I didn't realize that you could import a .psd file into iPhoto. It should be easy to save a .psd to a working folder and then import the edited photo back into iPhoto, which will then contain both the original and edited versions.
Actually, when you use iPhoto to "import" any photo (RAW, JPEG, etc.), iPhoto makes a JPEG copy of it, and leaves your original photo untouched in its original location. However, if you download photos to the computer using iPhoto, then iPhoto makes a JPEG copy of the original RAW, and saves both photos. The JPEG is the image seen in "Events," for example, and the original RAW image is saved to the "Originals" folder within iPhoto. If you import a file from the desktop, or from a folder, iPhoto leaves the file at that location, and imports a JPEG copy of it. At least that's as far as I understand it.

dvhutson

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
How to edit photos with PSElements that were saved in iPhoto Library

I am not able to open files saved in my mysterious iphoto library to edit in Photoshop Element 6. Is it because these are Raw files?
I have tried using Bridge and switching the open application in iPhoto to edit in Photoshop, but none of these things seem to work.

2. How can I access the files that I downloaded from my camera using iPhoto from the iphoto library. Do I need to burn them to a DVD and reload into Photoshop (or is the fact that they are RAW files that is causing the difficulty)?

Thanks for your guidance.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
iPhoto's folder structure always confused me so to edit I would just click and drag the photo I wanted to edit onto the Photoshop icon on my dock and if I wanted a copy of the file to save somewhere straight from iPhoto I would use iPhoto's Export command.

Thankfully I have moved on to Lightroom now though so I don't have to deal with iPhoto!

Tomar

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
So if you edit an iPhoto picture in PSE, and you use layers during the edit, can you still save the picture such that the changes will be visible in iPhoto?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.