Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
I recently purchased a new external drive for saving music, pictures, and video from my iBook HD. I was able to setup iTunes to allow the "My Music" folder to be saved on the external drive. I was trying to do the same in iPhoto, but can't appear to find the location in setting for making this switch. Am I simply over-looking something here?

Any help is much appreciated. Happy Turkey Day!

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
IIRC press 'option' when starting iPhoto to bring up the selector. If it's not 'option' it's one of the other modifiers. Once it's set that will be the default until you change it again.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
iPhoto Buddy works and allows you to have multiple libraries on the go at the same time.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
IIRC press 'option' when starting iPhoto to bring up the selector. If it's not 'option' it's one of the other modifiers. Once it's set that will be the default until you change it again.

yeah, it's option. I have my iPhoto library on an external. FWIW, you can have multiple libraries without additional software, but requires closing and restarting iPhoto while holding the option key.

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
I just did this, just drag the iphoto library folder in the pictures folder to the external drive. Delete the iphoto library folder in the pictures once it's safely to the external. When you open iphoto, it'll ask where did the library go, just point to the folder on the external and you are good to go. Very easy, no holding anything down whenever you open iphoto

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Thanks to all. The option key did the trick.

Yep, a great tip that is over looked by most of us.

I will be trying in 2007 to move my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to external HDD's. This may help in getting some free space on my iMac, as well as getting better organized for my transition to Lightroom final version.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I recently purchased a new external drive for saving music, pictures, and video from my iBook HD.

The problem with external drives in Mac OSX is that by default file ownership is ignored. You need to go to the "get info" panel at the bottom and uncheck the "ignore" box. If you don't do this and you share the mac any other user when logged in can mess with your data. They could even drag it all to trash by accident. Of course they could re-check the box and mess with your stuff but I hope you trust the others not to do that.

Mac OS does not handle permissions on external drive well. It's a big security hole.

If yours is the only login account on the Mac then you can ignore the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.