Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Hello all,
I have a strange thing happening with my pictures.
I took pictures yesterdat at iso 3200, using d300s, in my macbook pro, the noise is not so bad, so I upload it to facebook.
but in facebook the noise is so ... "noisy". I shot using raw, open it first with adobe photoshop, edited again using iphoto. was it because I convert it to jpeg after first editing? and save it again as jpeg?
Thanks

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
facebook is terrible for pictures. Whatever compression it uses makes even decent pictures look terrible. I don't know if this is your only problem here, but it certainly isn't helping.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hello all,
I have a strange thing happening with my pictures.
I took pictures yesterdat at iso 3200, using d300s, in my macbook pro, the noise is not so bad, so I upload it to facebook.
but in facebook the noise is so ... "noisy". I shot using raw, open it first with adobe photoshop, edited again using iphoto. was it because I convert it to jpeg after first editing? and save it again as jpeg?
Thanks

I hear ya. I don't know what Facebook does with photos, but it's not good. I just did a family portrait session and worked really hard to get skin tones just so, sharpness exactly as I wanted, etc. Posted them to Smugmug for distribution; no problem. The client eventually posted them to her Facebook page and WOW they look bad. They look soft (frankly OOF in some places), underexposed, and completely desaturated.

She's happy with them because she's printing them from Smugmug and she knows they look great over there, but I really hate that people are seeing them on FB and thinking that's what I think is acceptable.

I hate having to play to the lowest common denominator, but I may have to start releasing "FB only versions" of everything; super saturated, super sharp, and overexposed.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
This is not your camera or iPhoto that has the problem.

The problem is FaceBook. I don't think its a serious site for photos - but I don't see why it is so bad.

I was shocked by how bad it is.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Apparently, some people are having better luck with the quality of their FB photos by manually resizing to 604 pixels (long edge) in PS (presumably this also works in LR, Aperture, or iPhoto), and stripping the colour profile BEFORE uploading.

FB resizes to a maximum of 604 pixels and strips the colour profile, so if the user does this ahead of time, FB does not apply its crappy algorithm and the pictures are salvaged somewhat.

It's still catering to the lowest common denominator, but what can you do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.