Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
i am a brand new mac user and have read (but not completely understood) the prior postings on iphoto vs elements.
do you suggest using itunes for organizing?
using elements to edit photos?
i did not understand how do i save the original photo and then edit in elements and save the copy in iturnes? the save vs save as command info was confusing.
any simple suggestions?
thk you

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i am a brand new mac user and have read (but not completely understood) the prior postings on iphoto vs elements.
do you suggest using itunes for organizing?
using elements to edit photos?
i did not understand how do i save the original photo and then edit in elements and save the copy in iturnes? the save vs save as command info was confusing.
any simple suggestions?
thk you

Yes, Elements is a far more capable editor than iPhoto. But for many people iPhots does enough. Most people only need to make crops and simple adjustments.

About how to save photos back to iPhoto...
Inside iPhoto preferences, If you have Elements as your default image editor then you can bring up a photo inside Elements by double clickong it. After you are done, from withing Elements choose "Save". Not "Save As". This will copy the phot back to a place where iPhoto can find it. iPhoto always keeps the original photo un-toutched. What it gives to Elelments when you double click is a copy.

It is best to not use "Save As" unless you really understand what you are doing (which would be by-passing iPhoto)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Open iPhoto, go to iPhoto's menu and select preferences. Set Elements as the default application to edit photos. Once you do that, click one time on a photo shown in iPhoto (to select that photo), then click on the "Edit" icon at the left bottom corner of the iPhoto's window. A few moments later, Element launches and opens the photo for you to edit. When finished editing the photo, "Save" the photo. It will be saved in iPhoto just like ChrisA mentioned above.

By the way, Chris is correct in avery thing he told you. I was just hoping to make it more simple for you.

(My apologies, ChrisA)

kitmos

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
After you are done, from withing Elements choose "Save". Not "Save As". This will copy the phot back to a place where iPhoto can find it.
o)

Whenever I edit and then save an iPhoto Raw Image within PE and then save it it goes back to an iPhoto folder but I'm not able to find it within iPhoto. I can save it to the Desktop and import it in again to iPhoto but that seems like a stupid way to do it. There has to be a setting I'm missing or a better way to do it.

Thanks,

Kit

theresa297

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Iphoto and elements 6.0

I am also a new mac user and have read the comments above which have been very helpful understand save - save as.....I followed the instructions regarding elements as the default application to edit photos. But instead of using Elements (I am waiting for my new Photoshop Elements 6.0) I use Aperture 2.....I clicked on the photo to be edited the Aperture 2 opened but no photo.

What am I doing wrong.

I am glad I found MacRumors....I am glad to see I can find help.

Thanks Terry

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...But instead of using Elements (I am waiting for my new Photoshop Elements 6.0) I use Aperture 2.....I clicked on the photo to be edited the Aperture 2 opened but no photo.

What am I doing wrong.

Aperture is NOT a replacement for Photoshop Elements. It is really a lot more like iPhoto. So what you did wrong was something akin to specifying iPhoto as iPhoto's editor. As you found out this won't work.

theresa297

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Iphoto and elements 6.0

Thank you Chris for your quick answer. I really appreciate it..

Terry

theresa297

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Photoshop Elements and saving.

I downloaded Photoshop Elements (trial) today while waiting for the purchased one.

I followed the instructions above regarding edit in photoshop and it worked...I first double clicked the photo in iphoto and immediately it went into photoshop. I cropped the photo and "save". I went back to iphoto and the photo I cropped was there cropped. The original one was not there.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks you, Terry

Ger

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Ireland
I downloaded Photoshop Elements (trial) today while waiting for the purchased one.

I followed the instructions above regarding edit in photoshop and it worked...I first double clicked the photo in iphoto and immediately it went into photoshop. I cropped the photo and "save". I went back to iphoto and the photo I cropped was there cropped. The original one was not there.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks you, Terry

The original is still there, but kinda hidden. If you right click on the altered image and choose "Revert to original" it will change back. I don't know if it's possible to have both the original and altered version in iPhoto at the same time.

theresa297

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Thank you Ger....I did as you as you suggested. The original is there.

Is there any way that I can keep both the Edited and the Original?

Thank you again. Terry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.