Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Ok, so heres the big question....

I have imported my iphoto library into aperture using a managed system so it is not referencing the files from iphoto. Can I then delete all of the images in iphoto? Does that remove the files in finder that iphoto used? If not can I now safely delete the picture folders from finder?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am finding this confusing to! :confused:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Ok, so heres the big question....

I have imported my iphoto library into aperture using a managed system so it is not referencing the files from iphoto. Can I then delete all of the images in iphoto? Does that remove the files in finder that iphoto used? If not can I now safely delete the picture folders from finder?

Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am finding this confusing to! :confused:

Yes you can simply "trash" the iPhoto library.

A more conservative plan would be to go into the pictures folder and re-name the iphoto library to something like "dragthistothetrashtomorrow" then check if everything still works as expected. If it does then trash the "dragthistothetrashtomorrow" folder.

The files are not completely gone off the disk drive until you "empty" the trash.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
... or even do the suggested name switch above after you've allowed Time Machine to do a round or two of backups. Then you can literally use Aperture for months and if you find a problem, restore the iPhoto library file from Time Machine.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Thanks guys! God bless time machine, I think I will take my chances and delete it, I seriously would question how I would attempt this on a windows machine....
:apple:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
... or even do the suggested name switch above after you've allowed Time Machine to do a round or two of backups. Then you can literally use Aperture for months and if you find a problem, restore the iPhoto library file from Time Machine.
The problem I found when I went from iPhoto to Aperture and then deleted my iPhoto Library was that I failed to remember that my iPhoto Library had those little videos my point-and-shoot camera could do.

Almost 9 months after having deleted it, I remembered ... but Time Machine saved the day. Took forever to restore my old iPhoto Library, but it was still there. :eek:

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
The problem I found when I went from iPhoto to Aperture and then deleted my iPhoto Library was that I failed to remember that my iPhoto Library had those little videos my point-and-shoot camera could do.

Almost 9 months after having deleted it, I remembered ... but Time Machine saved the day. Took forever to restore my old iPhoto Library, but it was still there. :eek:

Thanks for the reminder -- I'm about to make the transition myself and would likely have forgotten.

I liked that feature of iPhoto; being able to integrate video clips. I take it Aperture can't keep video in your photo library? Any other suggestions for how to catalog it?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I take it Aperture can't keep video in your photo library? Any other suggestions for how to catalog it?
When you connect your camera to Aperture, it gives you the option to move the videos to a folder. I just dumped them on my desktop until I imported them into iMovie, and then deleted them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.