Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Hi all,
I got my MacBook a few days ago, but I can't seem to figure out how to zoom into pictures, the "zoom" slider is disabled. My camera's 8MP (Canon EOS-20D), so I highly doubt iPhoto is preventing me from zooming because the picture is too small.

Can someone help me please?

It won't let me attach a screenshot, Command-Option-3, the file size is too big.
I'll just tell you that the zoom slider is grayed out.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Well iPhoto isn't quite the master Photo Application. If you want to really zoom in, get yourself a copy of Apple's Aperture! I did and it's great for high-definition photos.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Also try pressing SHIFT - COMMAND - 4 - SPACE and move the mouse over the window you want to snap a shot of. Also in Preview you can go to Save As and you can change the quality of the photo which can drastically reduce the file size!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 13,237
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,141

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
You can't zoom in regular view mode, only in edit mode. (Try hitting the edit button and then the zoom bar should be enabled.

edit:

picture 1: regular view mode

picture 2: edit mode

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 344

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
OMFG!!!
Zooming (was and still) is my gripe with iPhoto :mad:
But I've just found a gem, simply by poking around :p:rolleyes:
1) focus on a picture
2) Go : ⌥+⌘+F, then go ⌥+1 (or 2 or 0),
3) enjoy :D

P.S. ←,→,⎋ : all useful while in fullscreen mode.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
OMFG!!!
Zooming (was and still) is my gripe with iPhoto :mad:
But I've just found a gem, simply by poking around :p:rolleyes:
1) focus on a picture
2) Go : ⌥+⌘+F, then go ⌥+1 (or 2 or 0),
3) enjoy :D

P.S. ←,→,⎋ : all useful while in fullscreen mode.

SHIFT COMMAND F - SHIFT 1 / 2 / 0 (which is what you just said right?)

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Option (Alt) + Command :)apple:) + f

Option + 1
Exactly : ⌥ is alt/option on newer keyboards.

BTW, coming from the decades on Windows, I don't understand why Apple wants to make OSX too Windows'y ...
All this - /⌘,⌥,⌫,↩,⌤,⌃ - are there for a purpose, and omitting those symbols from keyboards, with underlying software still operating with them, is plain hypocritical.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
On the Macbook you can press the "alt" button and then do a two finger slide on the track pad - upwards to zoom in and down to zoom out.

I also hate the lack of zoom without pressing the edit button in iPhoto - unbelievable!

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
You can't zoom in regular view mode, only in edit mode. (Try hitting the edit button and then the zoom bar should be enabled.

The only problem is that every time you hit the edit button, iPhoto creates a duplicate (a copy of the file in the Modified folder instead of the Originals folder) and when you want to zoom in on a few hundred pics to check them out after a trip, this eats away at your hard drive space fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.