Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I've just noticed why my uploaded files can't be sorted by date. It's because when iPhoto exports a cropped photo, it also strips the EXIF data except for the camera name. This means that the date stamp is gone. How do I stop iPhoto from damaging the EXIF data? I export the cropped files as the Original format, and the EXIF doesn't appear to be damaged while the files are still in iPhoto.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
It appears that whatever iPhoto does when it crops a photo, the EXIF cannot be read by other software. If I do not crop in iPhoto, or if I do not use any other software to edit or resize the photos after cropping, the EXIF is not damaged. :confused:

DrRock

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2005
^

As a rule, I always export my raw images from iPhoto into a new folder before doing ANY editing.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the EXIF when iPhoto reads it, but rather when another application writes to the cropped file. iPhoto is doing something to the EXIF when it crops so that other applications can't write to the file without removing the EXIF information. The only EXIF information that isn't destroyed is the camera name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.