Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighHeat14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question...

I'm far from an expert on digital photo editing, obviously. But I want to use a photo that I already have, and edit it to make it look cool/nice/whatever, get it printed/framed and give it to my wife as a gift.

The only software I have is iPhoto. Can anyone here tell me any cool editing ideas (rookie level)? I recently saw a photo that had the color effect(cartoon like) of the people that are in the photo, but everything in the background was black & white. Can this type of editing be done in iPhoto? Or am I getting in over my head and need to stick with jewelry as the gift? :DThanks!

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
if you provide the photo you want edited, and an example photo of what you want done, we would be of better service to asses your needs.

it sounds like you want a b&w picture with the people in it to be in colour? am i correct in that statement? while you could probally do that in iphoto...im not sure, as i dont use it...it would be 1000000X easier in photoshop / photoshop elements.

HighHeat14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
if you provide the photo you want edited, and an example photo of what you want done, we would be of better service to asses your needs.

it sounds like you want a b&w picture with the people in it to be in colour? am i correct in that statement? while you could probally do that in iphoto...im not sure, as i dont use it...it would be 1000000X easier in photoshop / photoshop elements.

I still have to choose the photo I want to use. I think what I may do is choose the photo, and then play with it some to see what I can figure out. There's no doubt that you guys can edit a photo MUCH better than I can, but I want to try it first(she's big in the "thoughtful" "I made this for you" stuff :D)

If I can't figure it out, I'll probably take you up on what you suggested and post a photo. I'm thinking about getting photoshop b/c I think I would enjoy messing around with photo editing, I've just never really tried it. So I'm going to get my feet wet and see what I can do.

Thanks!

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
when i say post a photo, i didnt mean that we would do it for you :)

i meant so you could show us what photo you were talking about, so that we can provide better advice.

HighHeat14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
when i say post a photo, i didnt mean that we would do it for you :)

i meant so you could show us what photo you were talking about, so that we can provide better advice.

Ahh...sorry. The way you wrote it could be interpeted either way :D

Now that I know what you meant.....still sounds good! If I can't figure it out, I'll post the photos and see what you guys suggest. I may be getting ahead of myself since I haven't even picked the photo I want to use yet.

Thanks again for you insight!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I recently saw a photo that had the color effect(cartoon like) of the people that are in the photo, but everything in the background was black & white. Can this type of editing be done in iPhoto?

No. While iPhoto could make the black and white effect and maybe do the posterized color effect too, what iPhoto can NOT do is allow you to select out parts of the image for different treatment. iPhoto does not have any concept of "masks" nor does it allow you to selectivly apply an effect with say a brush.

To do what you want you'd need a "image editor" get Adobe Photoshop Elements for about $80. But there is a learning curve. It would take some days or weeks to come up to speed on Elements before you could do what you've described.

in iPhoto there is a preferences option where you specify the name of your "image editor". Once you specify Adobe Photoshop Elements in that space iPhoto and Elements are very tightly integrated and work together nearly seamlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.