Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Hey guys,

So either I am blind or things were moved around with Snow leopard. But I am trying to find my iphoto file folders. You know the ones that have the month and year on them. There are also 'Modified' and 'Original' names listed on the folders. The only folder ( and it is not even a folder) is the iphoto icon. I cannot click on that and see just the files, it opens the whole iphoto library using the iphoto application. Also if I select a file from the application and choose " show in finder/show file", I only get that file and have no way of knowing what file that file is in.

I am trying to select old original and modified files, as well as photos i dont want in my library anymore, so that I can clear up some hard drive space.

Have any of you had this problem? Am I blind? Are they in a different spot now with Snow Leopard?

Any tips will be helpful. Thank so much.

-tmac

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This comes up often. Right-Click on that iPhoto Library icon in the Pictures folder and select Show Package Contents.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-12 at 2.49.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-12 at 2.49.04 PM.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 106

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I can't tell from your description if you have tried this. Ctrl click (or right click) on the iphoto folder, I think. And then its something like "show package" or "reveal contents" - something like that - I'm going from memory here....

The iPhoto photos are now "hidden" in a package to prevent people to do what you want to do, which is to move and delete photos outside of the iPhoto application. When you do this iPhoto loses track of what photos you have, and where they are. In other words you are corrupting the iPhoto database.

Your best bet is to use iPhoto to do the housekeeping, though I'm pretty sure that if you peek into the contents to merely see what's there you won't break anything.
Good Luck.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
So, what would be the best way to remove some of my pictures? Drag them directly from iphoto into a file in my external? Then delete them in iphoto?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am trying to select old original and modified files, as well as photos i dont want in my library anymore, so that I can clear up some hard drive space.

Never attempt to do it that way. If you want to delete a photo do it through iPhoto, never use the finder. You will corrupt the iPhoto database and be forced to restore it from backup.

iPhoto hides the files to prevent people from doing this.

If you do delete them as you descrbibe the best outcome will be that you wil still see the thumbnamis in iPhoto and they will still show up in searches but when you go to look at them yu will see an icon for "mising file". The worse case is a trashed library.

So, what would be the best way to remove some of my pictures? Drag them directly from iphoto into a file in my external? Then delete them in iphoto?

Yes, except skip the first part about dragging. If you want them gone just do the delete part. If you want a copy of the image some place then the term is "export". (File->Export... )

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Never attempt to do it that way. If you want to delete a photo do it through iPhoto, never use the finder. You will corrupt the iPhoto database and be forced to restore it from backup.

iPhoto hides the files to prevent people from doing this.

If you do delete them as you descrbibe the best outcome will be that you wil still see the thumbnamis in iPhoto and they will still show up in searches but when you go to look at them yu will see an icon for "mising file". The worse case is a trashed library.

Yes, except skip the first part about dragging. If you want them gone just do the delete part. If you want a copy of the image some place then the term is "export". (File->Export... )

I dont want to get rid of the files completely. Otherwise I wouldnt be trying to find them, nor would this post include information about an external hard drive. I simply want to store photos I do not need to use on my computer currently and save them on to the external.

So therefore, i need to get them on to the external ( not all of them) and save them.

Whats the best way of getting them on the external?

Thanks

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Whats the best way of getting them on the external?

Thanks

If iPhoto is managing the files, there is no way to have them in both iPhoto and on the external ...

You can drag them from iPhoto to the external, and then delete the ones from iPhoto. That will make a copy of them on the external and delete the originals from your iPhoto library.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
If iPhoto is managing the files, there is no way to have them in both iPhoto and on the external ...

You can drag them from iPhoto to the external, and then delete the ones from iPhoto. That will make a copy of them on the external and delete the originals from your iPhoto library.

Ok, thats what I guess ill have to do. Just thought I might be able to find the folders and make it easier. Guess not! But I see why this would cause so many problems down the line.

Thanks guys.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Ok, thats what I guess ill have to do. Just thought I might be able to find the folders and make it easier. Guess not! But I see why this would cause so many problems down the line.

Thanks guys.

Trying to manually manage files that are already managed by a database is just going to corrupt the database.

I dont see how trying to find all of the individual files in their folders is easier than either drag and drop or Export from iPhoto.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
iPhoto can be set up with more than one library. There is a good deal of information on the Apple Support site, in the "community" area. Do a search there on multiple libraries. You could one library set up for your external, and one for your internal HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.