Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So I had problems with 10.6.8 which left my MacBook Pro unusable. So after searching online, and these forums, my only option was to take it in to the Genius Bar for their assistance. Since I did not have a backup in time machine, I ended up purchasing an external HD and let them see if any of my data(pre crash) could be recovered, and let them back up my data to time machine. Well when my Macbook Pro was ready I picked it up and at first glance looked as if all of my music had been recovered, as well as some other personal data. However once I got home with it, I noticed iMovie, iPhoto, and Garage band were missing from the dock, as well as MS Office. In it's place I get the grey question marks instead. Is this normal, or are these backed up on the external drive somewhere? I'm not entirely too worried about MS Office, but A little worried about the other 3 programs that are missing here. I will be away on vacation for a week, but should I return to the Apple store with this problem, or is this a normal/easy fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
It sounds like they need to be reinstalled. The easiest thing to do is to pop-in the Application Install disc (disc #2) that came with your Mac. It's the same story with Office. The question marks indicate that there are invalid application icons in your dock; just drag them off since they'll be recreated when you reinstall iLife and Office.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
It sounds like they need to be reinstalled. The easiest thing to do is to pop-in the Application Install disc (disc #2) that came with your Mac. It's the same story with Office. The question marks indicate that there are invalid application icons in your dock; just drag them off since they'll be recreated when you reinstall iLife and Office.

Thanks, that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure they were recoverable!

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Thanks, that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure they were recoverable!
I should add that you should check the Applications folder first to make sure they really are missing since the problem could be isolated to the dock icons. If the programs are indeed missing it's as simple as reinstalling them.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I should add that you should check the Applications folder first to make sure they really are missing since the problem could be isolated to the dock icons. If the programs are indeed missing it's as simple as reinstalling them.

Yeah, they're definitely missing. The first thing I did was check the applications folder. Then I did a basic search for them, and nothing. Reinstalling them now. Thanks for the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.